• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying child support on disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmgirlzj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM
I lie in NM but pay child support to CA. I am in the process of going on disability and am wondering how that affects my child support payments?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM
I lie in NM but pay child support to CA. I am in the process of going on disability and am wondering how that affects my child support payments?

SSI? SSDI?

SSI does not have dependent benefits and is means-tested.

SSDI DOES have dependent benefits and is NOT means-tested.

If you are going to receive SSDI, you will need to file with the court to have the dependent benefits that the other parent will receive count towards your CS, if not replace it.

Just Blue

SSI? SSDI?

SSI does not have dependent benefits and is means-tested.

SSDI DOES have dependent benefits and is NOT means-tested.

If you are going to receive SSDI, you will need to file with the court to have the dependent benefits that the other parent will receive count towards your CS, if not replace it.
Don't bother asking questions to OP. S/He is to busy scolding members on other threads:rolleyes:...

Proserpina

OP, you need to figure out what you're going to be getting in terms of disability, as Geekess mentioned.

There IS a possibility that even if you're on SSDI, and even though the kids will get dependent benefits, that you'll have to pay a token amount in addition.

SSDI can be garnished for arrears.

SSI cannot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">