• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying Childsupport But not on Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoleroY

Massachusetts

My husband has been aying childsupport for over 6 years and owes approx. $12,000 on back childsupport. We recently found out that his name does not appear on the childs birth certificate instead there's another gentelmans name there .. can child support go after a person just cuz the mother says that's the father?
How can we take care of this? AT this point we are questioning wether he is in fact the father of this child .... :rolleyes: :confused:

crystaly

SoleroY said:
Massachusetts

My husband has been aying childsupport for over 6 years and owes approx. $12,000 on back childsupport. We recently found out that his name does not appear on the childs birth certificate instead there's another gentelmans name there .. can child support go after a person just cuz the mother says that's the father?
How can we take care of this? AT this point we are questioning wether he is in fact the father of this child .... :rolleyes: :confused:
First of all how has he been paying for support for a child that isn't his? Was there a DNA test? Paternity has to be established before child support can be pursued. If he said he was the father and the mother agreed to that then paternity was probably established. I know in my state a father only has 2 years to contest paternity but thats only if the child was conceived in a marriage.

He can however have his name added to the birth certificate with a simple court order.

sickofbias

SoleroY said:
Massachusetts

The most important thing you do is GET A PATERNITY TEST. Regardless of who's name is on the birth certificate, if the paternity test comes back positive, he will be responsible for the child support. However, it seems awfully strange that there's another man's name on that birth certificate. That ususally is no accident.

Grace_Adler

Well there are ways around the system. If the mother went in there and said such and such is the Dad, then that is who they are going after.

I'm assuming when he was summoned to court for child support he never questioned it or contested it.

It may be too late at this time to do anything about it. I don't know. You should consult a family law attorney.

However, there have been cases where when there was paternity testing involved, the person was able to stop the support and sue the other parent for the money back. There used to be a member on here that happened to and they got awarded the money back. I'm not saying this will happen for you but you can ask an attorney about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">