• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payment of back support (children are adults)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SuzSoody

Washington State

My husband is paying a very high amount toward back child support. He's been trying to pay off this bill for years.

One question that we've never gotten an answer to is that he (stupidly he knows) paid child support directly to his ex-wife without paying it through the state. Does he have any recourse regarding this?

The second question is that when he initially divorced, the stress took its toll, and he agreed to a child support amount that was about 90% of his paycheck. Thereby leaving him very little to live on. Then, when he changed jobs (went to school so had less income), the amount was never reduced. He has tried, but not successfully (yes, poor lawyers all around) to get this adjusted so that the back owed amount is not so large.

His children are 24 and 28, not sure if that matters.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
SuzSoody

Silverplum

Here's an excellent WA family law link, very comprehensive:
http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/WA/StateSubTopics.cfm/County/ /City/ /demoMode/= 1/Language/1/State/WA/TextOnly/N/ZipCode/ /LoggedIn/0/iTopicID/862/sTopicImage/familyjuvenile.gif/bAllState/0

He does owe court-ordered support; the current ages of the children do not matter.

Washington State
My husband is paying a very high amount toward back child support. He's been trying to pay off this bill for years.

One question that we've never gotten an answer to is that he (stupidly he knows) paid child support directly to his ex-wife without paying it through the state. Does he have any recourse regarding this?

The second question is that when he initially divorced, the stress took its toll, and he agreed to a child support amount that was about 90% of his paycheck. Thereby leaving him very little to live on. Then, when he changed jobs (went to school so had less income), the amount was never reduced. He has tried, but not successfully (yes, poor lawyers all around) to get this adjusted so that the back owed amount is not so large.

His children are 24 and 28, not sure if that matters.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks, SuzSoody

SuzSoody

Thanks. I'll take a look at the link. He is not trying to get out of paying, nor am I suggesting, nor supporting that he should. Just trying to get the payments fairly recognized.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">