• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payment For Second Child is Nearly Two Times What I Pay For My First Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bawrey1846

I live in Michigan and have two daughters with two different women, of which I am not in a relationship with. I pay $440/month for my first child and $758 for my second. I can barely make ends meet and have reevaluated my support for my second child twice (my first child is a fair support and have no desire to change). I get two overnights per month, which I understand is a big chunk of the high payment, I pay for the insurance, I pay over $300 for daycare. The referee only attributed 85% of what I pay for my first child toward my support amount. Why isn't it 50/50? Furthermore, my ex-wife-the mother of my first-mentioned a "first parent's right", in the matter that I can barely support a living for our daughter, and that she could take a certain amount of what I'm paying toward my second child and use it to help support our daughter. Is this a legitimate law?

Thanks in advance

LdiJ

I live in Michigan and have two daughters with two different women, of which I am not in a relationship with. I pay $440/month for my first child and $758 for my second. I can barely make ends meet and have reevaluated my support for my second child twice (my first child is a fair support and have no desire to change). I get two overnights per month, which I understand is a big chunk of the high payment, I pay for the insurance, I pay over $300 for daycare. The referee only attributed 85% of what I pay for my first child toward my support amount. Why isn't it 50/50? Furthermore, my ex-wife-the mother of my first-mentioned a "first parent's right", in the matter that I can barely support a living for our daughter, and that she could take a certain amount of what I'm paying toward my second child and use it to help support our daughter. Is this a legitimate law?

Thanks in advance
I honestly have no idea what your first child's mother is talking about...and I am confused about what you are talking about as well. The way that child support generally works is that whatever you are paying for the first child, gets deducted from your income before the calculation is done for the second child. Now, that generally does result in the first child ended up with a higher support amount than the second child, so its a bit unusual that you are paying a higher amount for the second child, but as long as you gave the referee accurate information then it is what it is.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Just to clarify something - first and second does not necessarily meant oldest and youngest. It all depends on which order came first.

I agree with LDi - your post is confusing. Did your income increase between the first and second orders? How old are the children concerned?

justalayman

Did your income increase between the first and second orders? How old are the children concerned?
That could explain the question at hand and if it does, op might want to not stir the pot as it could allow the mother of the child in the first order to seek an upward modification of that award.

Since Michigan also uses a comparison of each parent's income in setting child support as well so a difference in incomes of the two mothers could also explain a difference in the orders.

Op can find child support calculators for Michigan with a simple internet search. He may want to find a few and run the numbers. If the results differ from what he is paying he may want to continue looking into the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">