• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payments Not Received for Years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rhiannonenright

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My father has not paid child support to me for over ten years. During this time, he has been arrested on unrelated charges, skipped parole and left the country, and been arrested in the country again for the former offense. It does not seem that he has ever been convicted of a felony for not paying the support, and we have never been contacted to be informed of his incarceration or any past due support payments. He now owes thousands of dollars in payments, and this has brought a lot of hardship on our family. Is there anything that can be done to receive this owed money?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My father has not paid child support to me for over ten years. During this time, he has been arrested on unrelated charges, skipped parole and left the country, and been arrested in the country again for the former offense. It does not seem that he has ever been convicted of a felony for not paying the support, and we have never been contacted to be informed of his incarceration or any past due support payments. He now owes thousands of dollars in payments, and this has brought a lot of hardship on our family. Is there anything that can be done to receive this owed money?
Why do you believe your father has an obligation to pay child support to you?

CSO286

Was your father ever ORDERED to pay child support directly to you??

CSO286

And just for giggles, when I was working in child support, we had a few cases where the NCP had dodged paying their obligation for so long that we were now collecting the arrears from their social security.

OP, unless the court ever ordered your Dad to pay you the support, he owes it to YOUR MOTHER or the state, if mom was on any form of cash assistance during the time he should have been paying.

Not to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">