• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pell Grants and Other Financial Aid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Oklahoma

Does anyone know if pell grants and other financial aid can be seized if some is in arrears for child support? I can't seem to find any information on this.

Gracie3787

stepmom&mom said:
What is the name of your state?Oklahoma

Does anyone know if pell grants and other financial aid can be seized if some is in arrears for child support? I can't seem to find any information on this.

Other financial aid- No it cannot be seized, however in some states the obligor can be denied benefits due to nonpayment of CS.

Pell grants- No. The grants are to pay for school expenses only (books, tuition, lab fees, etc). If used for any other reason, person recieving grant can be charged with fraud.

Thanks for the info. My husband was threatened by his ex that she would get his pell grants (???) for owed back child support. He's paying monthly (including current and arrearages) through an agreement with the child support enforcement division.

Phnx02

Ditto what Gracie said....the ex is just blowing steam up your butt. When someone gets a pell grant, the government pays the school directly to cover the costs of tuition. If the grant is larger than what tuition costs are, then the student gets to pocket the remainder.....but usually this goes right back to the school to buy books or gas in the car to get there! Same with a student loan, the bank sends the check directly to the school and if tuition is outstanding, they take their cut before they sign the rest over to you.

That's great your husband is going to school......but if he can't afford to pay CS while a student, maybe he should wait to pursue a higher education.....until he can afford both!?!??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">