• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Per Diem as Income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

And I don't care what the stated "per diem" is, you can live on a lot less than $144/day if you watch your pennies; you can actually MAKE money on the deal. I know, I did temp housing for 2 months in a Motel 6 near Baltimore, MD. Sucked, but I did it and here's how.

In San Antonio, you can get a Motel 6 for around $54/night plus tax; weekly rates are also available that would cut that down. Meals maybe $20-$25 a day. Laundry, maybe $5-6/week at a laundromat. Get a cooler and a mini-microwave if the room doesn't have them already and you can save even more on food. Take your lunch in an insulated lunch bag instead of buying it.

BTW, if your employer is deducting taxes on a per diem less than or equal to the amount specified by the government, there should be NO taxes withheld on it; it gets the same treatment as an actual dollar-for-dollar expense reimbursement. Nor does it go on your W-2. It appears they are doing this correctly.
Ahhh Patty, apparently we both made the same error. We assumed that the OP wanted information.

Turns out, he wants to vent/play the victim/rag on his ex and/or her boyfriend/husband/whatever.

And he wants to pay less in child support because he's made choices that have increased his expenses. :rolleyes:

Splitz

And I don't care what the stated "per diem" is, you can live on a lot less than $144/day if you watch your pennies; you can actually MAKE money on the deal. I know, I did temp housing for 2 months in a Motel 6 near Baltimore, MD. Sucked, but I did it and here's how.

In Ft. Worth, you can get a Motel 6 for around $30/night plus tax; weekly rates are also available. Meals maybe $20-$25 a day. Laundry, maybe $5-6/week at a laundromat. Get a cooler and a mini-microwave if the room doesn't have them already and you can save even more on food. Take your lunch in an insulated lunch bag instead of buying it.

BTW, if your employer is deducting taxes on a per diem less than or equal to the amount specified by the government, there should be NO taxes withheld on it; it gets the same treatment as an actual dollar-for-dollar expense reimbursement. Nor does it go on your W-2.
You are forgetting, most of my per diem is going towards my support in the assignment location, as WELL AS my primary residence in Fort Worth. I'm not looking to "make money", I'm trying to pay my own expenses.

$30/night at a Motel 6 isn't viable because that's $900/month, and I'm only spending $500 by renting a room with friends in San Antonio. I've cut my expenses as much as I can.

I think in this situation, there needs to be compromise, the OAG doesn't necessarily care about what the child support is. The guidelines of the OAG are just that. However, like everything else, if the two parties agree, then that's what gets done. As soon as their is an argument or we run out of time tomorrow morning, I'm sure the OAG representative will step in.

Splitz

And he wants to pay less in child support because he's made choices that have increased his expenses. :rolleyes:
Increased expense to WORK, and this was the first job offer I've had in 4 months of being unemployed, I ask you, what would you do? And, in this job market...I had to spend 1 year in Saudi Arabia because of this crappy job market. This was a better compromise than me going back there.

Or, I can just "quit" this job, and stock shelves at Wal-Mart. That would solve everything wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Then it would be based on $7.50/hr.

I offered my ex-wife that it just go back to $590 base + $155 in arrerages. Its not like I'm trying to lower it, I put the olive branch out there already.

Stott

My soon to be ex used to make 25 an hour and about 390 - 460 a week in per diem. And he worked a minimum of 50 hours. Not anymore but he always made per diem wherever he went.

I just got a pretty good giggle at OP stating that kids get cheaper as they get older.

Clear you don't have a teen you are supporting IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD. Yes, daycare isn't an issue. But did you really say "shoes and the occasional clothing item?" Really? My teen's clothes are a whole lot more than my tweens or little ones. Their lunches at school are expensve. Their activities are expensive (or are you under the belief that extra curricular is not your responsibility, your ex should pay that out of her own pocket completely?), health insurance costs, copays for doctors visits, the huge amount of food some teens consume at home (I have to make FOUR boxes of macaroni and cheese at a time!), various things for school, like the $60 yearbook they have no compunction in selling, school supplies including things like scientific calculators and jump drives, I could go ON AND ON. Are you really implying that they really don't cost hardly anything as they get older?

I also think it is pretty funny that you think all that matters is what your decree says...might want to take a gander at what STATE LAW says about when you'll be paying child support till. Decree doesn't trump LAW. But I'm sure your ex will figure that out for you;).

Also, please note for your information...it isn't NCPs that get screwed accross the board. I haven't gotten a dime since May. I don't bother my ex about it because eventually, he'll pay, the debt doesn't go away. But believe me, it isn't always just the NCP that gets the shaft. I'm supporting my teen with zero help from Dad right now, and believe me SHE IS EXPENSIVE.

I know, you think I'm stupid because I'm not agreeing with you. I'm sure you'll prevail and come back and tell us how stupid we all are. Or...not.

CJane

I just got a pretty good giggle at OP stating that kids get cheaper as they get older.
I have a 13.5 year old, a 10 year old and a 4.5 year old.

I'm really not sure WHO is the "more expensive" -- but the girls live with their Dad the majority of the time during the school year and I STILL pay through the nose for crap for them.

Admission to EVERY home football game for the whole troup of us because Wild is in the marching band and I would't miss a performance.

Travel to the band contests (parades and stuff -- who knew they judge PARADES?) for all of us. Usually a meal while we're there.

The amount of food she can consume in a given day. Not as much as stealth's daughter, but certainly more than ME, and she's rail thin.

Basketball shoes. For winter/school and summer/intramural because you can't wear the outside shoes inside.

Reeds for the saxophone (who knew a lil piece of bamboo (???) could be so expensive?).

This year she's playing volleyball. I'm guessing she'll need shoes/pads/junk for that sport, plus I'll take time off work (losing money) to attend her games.

I take time off work to attend the basketball games.

I take time off work to attend the academic bowl competitions.

Clothes for dances/performances.

She's also doing track this year. More shoes, I'd assume. More time off work. More food...

We have an elementary school year book, an intermediate school year book, a junior high yearbook and a high school year book. So each year, I'm buying 2 yearbooks.

I buy all of the school supplies for both kids throughout the year.

I end up paying for almost all of their lunches @ school or stuff to pack.

The 10 year old does martial arts which I pay for.

I feed the kids' pets 100% of the time even though the kids only live with me part of the time.

I have a big enough house that they each have their own room 100% of the time even though they're only with me part of the time.

Oldest child is already talking about which of my vehicles will become hers when she gets her license in a couple of years. So I have that to look forward to, and I'm sure I'll be paying the insurance too.

Then there's college to save for (while I'm paying for my own).

AND I pay child support. But it's a pittance compared to what I really pay for.

My 4 year old? Eats like a man, and I have to pay daycare... but really. He's the cheap one.

LdiJ

Increased expense to WORK, and this was the first job offer I've had in 4 months of being unemployed, I ask you, what would you do? And, in this job market...I had to spend 1 year in Saudi Arabia because of this crappy job market. This was a better compromise than me going back there.

Or, I can just "quit" this job, and stock shelves at Wal-Mart. That would solve everything wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Then it would be based on $7.50/hr.

I offered my ex-wife that it just go back to $590 base + $155 in arrerages. Its not like I'm trying to lower it, I put the olive branch out there already.
You really are going to have a tax problem and if I were you, I would be looking for work within a 50 mile radius of your home so that all your income is taxed and you are no longer getting per diem.

Sure, you can deduct expenses for temporary work on your tax return, but that is AFTER you are taxed, and the employer is taxed, for social security and medicare, and the employer is taxed for state UC, Federal UC, etc.

Seriously dude...this one isn't going to be pretty. It generally takes the IRS a very long time to do these kinds of investigations, so you may not hear anything about it for up to two years....but its GOING to happen.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

Ima gonna pipe up.. (ya! Who knew THAT was gonna happen :p)

First, OP, Ld is OBLIGATED to report FRAUD when she finds out about it.

Second, OP, children don't get LESS expensive, but the expenses are different. You'd know this if your head wasn't up your posterior orifice.

Thirdly, whatever job you take, whether its fraudulently paying you or not, its still your OBLIGATION to support your children. So, take my little piece of advice. Pay your child support, be nicer to your ex, take time with your kids and ALWAYS think before you speak.

Several threads ago, you stated that your ex puts half of your child support into savings instead of sending it back to you? I say good for her for planning for the time when you quit your job because you don't want to pay child support. I also say good for her that her and her "deadbeat" boyfriend can "live" off of your measly child support and STILL put half away. :rolleyes:

One such industry (state specific) report... interesting reading, actually, even though its the OT that gets the employer into trouble here.

5th Cir.: Hourly “Per Diem” Allowances Were Part Of Plaintiff’s Regular Rate Of Pay, Because It Appeared “Per Diem” Label Was Simply A Scheme To Avoid Paying Overtime Overtime Law Blog | FLSA Decisions

CJane

Ima gonna pipe up.. (ya! Who knew THAT was gonna happen :p)

First, OP, Ld is OBLIGATED to report FRAUD when she finds out about it.

Second, OP, children don't get LESS expensive, but the expenses are different. You'd know this if your head wasn't up your posterior orifice.

Thirdly, whatever job you take, whether its fraudulently paying you or not, its still your OBLIGATION to support your children. So, take my little piece of advice. Pay your child support, be nicer to your ex, take time with your kids and ALWAYS think before you speak.

Several threads ago, you stated that your ex puts half of your child support into savings instead of sending it back to you? I say good for her for planning for the time when you quit your job because you don't want to pay child support. I also say good for her that her and her "deadbeat" boyfriend can "live" off of your measly child support and STILL put half away. :rolleyes:

One such industry (state specific) report... interesting reading, actually, even though its the OT that gets the employer into trouble here.

5th Cir.: Hourly “Per Diem” Allowances Were Part Of Plaintiff’s Regular Rate Of Pay, Because It Appeared “Per Diem” Label Was Simply A Scheme To Avoid Paying Overtime Overtime Law Blog | FLSA Decisions
I posted that same case a page or so ago. He didn't want to hear it then either.

If the employers are being SUED and LOSING for this exact same practice, why WOULDN'T the OP think that PERHAPS there was something wrong with this particular accounting practice?

But whatever. That's not the "point" of his thread.

But if it were me, and I was employed by this company as a "local" guy who was being taxed on all of my $26/hour and I found out that by moving so that my commute was 50 miles each way, I could make $18 of that hourly rate magically be tax free, I'd lengthen my commute in a heart beat.

I already drive almost that far to work. No one is jumping through hoops to pay ME an extra $18/hour.

Splitz

Thanks for the advice everybody. I apologize for coming across as arrogant and not listening. I did soak it all in.

We went into the modification appointment with a plan and cooler heads prevailed for the most part.

We were able to reach a mutual agreement on the child support (deviated from state standards) per my current earnings and committments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">