• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition to Modify Parent-Child Relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelbel29

Texas.

I was served on Saturday, and next week I have to show up to court! (Does that usually happen that fast?) My ex is suing me for more child support. He also wants me to remove the children from my insurance so he can carry them and I would have to reimburse him. And finally, he is sueing me for the cost of his attorney's fees.

1. I cannot find an attorney (not that I can afford one) in that short of time. I was told by a friend to request a continuance, but the court clerk told me only my ex's attorney could request a continuance. Why? And does that just mean I show up without an attorney and look stupid that day?

2. I can't afford the home and car payments I already have - will the judge look at that when awarding child support and attorney's fees paid to my ex?

3. Any other suggestions? I haven't been able to sleep or perform at work all week because of the stress of this mess.

What is funny about all this is; two of my children don't even speak to me anymore because of my ex. He was abusive towards me when we were married, and now he uses the kids as pawns in his war to continue his abuse. I don't know if he knows I'm in financial peril and is using this as a way to try to destroy me, or if he's realized my youngest is almost 12 and I may have taken him to court for custody. If I weren't poor, I might have. <oh well>

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Neal1421

kelbel29 said:
Texas.

I was served on Saturday, and next week I have to show up to court! (Does that usually happen that fast?) My ex is suing me for more child support. He also wants me to remove the children from my insurance so he can carry them and I would have to reimburse him. And finally, he is sueing me for the cost of his attorney's fees.

1. I cannot find an attorney (not that I can afford one) in that short of time. I was told by a friend to request a continuance, but the court clerk told me only my ex's attorney could request a continuance. Why? And does that just mean I show up without an attorney and look stupid that day?

2. I can't afford the home and car payments I already have - will the judge look at that when awarding child support and attorney's fees paid to my ex?

3. Any other suggestions? I haven't been able to sleep or perform at work all week because of the stress of this mess.

What is funny about all this is; two of my children don't even speak to me anymore because of my ex. He was abusive towards me when we were married, and now he uses the kids as pawns in his war to continue his abuse. I don't know if he knows I'm in financial peril and is using this as a way to try to destroy me, or if he's realized my youngest is almost 12 and I may have taken him to court for custody. If I weren't poor, I might have. <oh well>

Has your income increased since the last order was set?

BelizeBreeze

kelbel29 said:
Texas.

O.K.
1. I cannot find an attorney (not that I can afford one) in that short of time. I was told by a friend to request a continuance, but the court clerk told me only my ex's attorney could request a continuance. Why?
Good question. A better question is when did the court clerk receive her/his law degree and begin legally practicing law? The fact is, you can ask for a continuance based on the fact that you have not had enough time to retain an attorney.
And does that just mean I show up without an attorney and look stupid that day?
Showing up yes. Looking stupid is up to you.
Nope. Your bills have nothing to do with your responsibility to support your child. Lose the bills.
Yes, find an attorney.
What is funny about all this is; two of my children don't even speak to me anymore because of my ex.
Irrelevant.
He was abusive towards me when we were married, and now he uses the kids as pawns in his war to continue his abuse.
The ex is ALWAYS abusive. We haven't had a post yet in this forum where the ex WASN'T abusive.
I don't know if he knows I'm in financial peril and is using this as a way to try to destroy me, or if he's realized my youngest is almost 12 and I may have taken him to court for custody. If I weren't poor, I might have. <oh well>
Again, your bills are illrelevant. If you can't affort to support your children AND drive a nice car, guess which one goes?
you're quite welcome.

kelbel29

BelizeBreeze said:
Your bills have nothing to do with your responsibility to support your child. Lose the bills.
I wish I could lose the bills. I need a vehicle in which to drive to work, I need a shelter over my family's head; I need electricity in my home to survive. Every other creditor I have doesn't matter.

BelizeBreeze said:
The ex is ALWAYS abusive. We haven't had a post yet in this forum where the ex WASN'T abusive.
This isn't my only ex, and he was the only one who was abusive. So, I have to disagree with the fact that the ex is ALWAYS abusive. This particular one was. He knows I'm still scared of him, and he uses it to his advantage.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
kelbel29 said:
So, I have to disagree with the fact that the ex is ALWAYS abusive. This particular one was. He knows I'm still scared of him, and he uses it to his advantage.
What BB means is on the boards - it's rare to find a single ex who was not abusive according to a poster.

kelbel29

stealth2 said:
What BB means is on the boards - it's rare to find a single ex who was not abusive according to a poster.
Oh, I understand. It make sense; everyone who posts is probably concerned about making the ex look bad.

Just because I hate my ex with a passion no one could ever comprehend doesn't make him a bad person. ;)

But I understand what BB meant now. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">