• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please advise me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anapr

What is the name of your state? Georgia and New York

Okay...I am just going to tell you what I know and hopefully I will be able to get some advice from all of the great minds in this community :)

My boyfriend, someone I am serious about and love very much, was involved with a woman for a short period of time (approximately 3 months) 2 years ago. She lives in New York and he lives in Georgia--at no time did the two live in the same state.

Borne of their union is a beautiful baby boy, who my boyfriend loves very much. When his child was born, my boyfriend began paying child support and has done so every month since. Now that his ex is taking him to court to have everything hammered out legally, will he be paying "arrears" payments?

Something interesting to note--there was never an issue between them and she told him that he was a good father, good provider, etc...that is, until he informed her that he was in a relationship. They were never married, and were actually "broken up" when they found out they were pregnant.

Can you give me an idea of what he can expect in court? Will he have to pay according to the New York standard of living when he makes Georgia money? Any other ideas you can give me?What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

anapr said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia and New York

Okay...I am just going to tell you what I know and hopefully I will be able to get some advice from all of the great minds in this community :)

My boyfriend, someone I am serious about and love very much, was involved with a woman for a short period of time (approximately 3 months) 2 years ago. She lives in New York and he lives in Georgia--at no time did the two live in the same state.

Borne of their union is a beautiful baby boy, who my boyfriend loves very much. When his child was born, my boyfriend began paying child support and has done so every month since. Now that his ex is taking him to court to have everything hammered out legally, will he be paying "arrears" payments?

Something interesting to note--there was never an issue between them and she told him that he was a good father, good provider, etc...that is, until he informed her that he was in a relationship. They were never married, and were actually "broken up" when they found out they were pregnant.

Can you give me an idea of what he can expect in court? Will he have to pay according to the New York standard of living when he makes Georgia money? Any other ideas you can give me?What is the name of your state?

Q: Okay...I am just going to tell you what I know and hopefully I will be able to get some advice from all of the great minds in this community

A: Sorry, this is not the Mensa forum.

Q: Now that his ex is taking him to court to have everything hammered out legally, will he be paying "arrears" payments?

A: It depends upon the amount of child support that is ordered. If he has been paying what he's supposed to have been paying all along, then there will be no arrearages. If he has not been paying the correct amount, there could be arrearages.

Q: Will he have to pay according to the New York standard of living when he makes Georgia money?

A: He will have to pay according to the standards of the state where the child is a resident.

nextwife

The CS is a formula based upon income. His CS will be based on the formula his state uses, plugging in HIS income, not the income of some theoretical person in NY..

fairisfair

nextwife said:
The CS is a formula based upon income. His CS will be based on the formula his state uses, plugging in HIS income, not the income of some theoretical person in NY..
Actually, his child support will be based on the formula HER state uses.

anapr

Another add on....

Georgia has their own currency??! LOL

Ha--that gave me a good laugh :) You never realize how some things sound until after the fact :)

Another question-- it is extremely expensive for him to fly up to New York and visit his son all the time...will she be required to bring him to Georgia in order to defray the cost?

GrowUp!

anapr said:
Another question-- it is extremely expensive for him to fly up to New York and visit his son all the time...will she be required to bring him to Georgia in order to defray the cost?
Who created the distance?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
fightingbackdad said:
There should be some type of an adjustment in the formula when the payer lives out of state.
Not if the payor created the distance.

In OP's situation, the best I could see would be the parents splitting transportation, given that they never lived in the same state. But I could see an argument made that he knew the distance involved when he entered an intimate relationship with her, so he should be responsible for the transportation costs. All depends on the reality of what happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">