• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Explain!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trivia3

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am trying to understand this. I am recently divorced, and in the divorced decree my ex has custody of my son during the school year and I have custody during the summer. I pay child support currently. But please explain why do I still have to pay child support during the summer months to her when my son is in my custody. I am not asking that she pay me child support, I just don't understand why I must continue to pay.

Silverplum

Also, your support amount is an annual one, broken into twelve monthly payments. You could pay for 9 months, in theory, but the monthly payment would be higher.

trivia3 said:
Even when he is not there. So then at that point I am paying support for her and her husband.
Do you have some sort of learning disability that makes reading and comprehension difficult?

The child support is an amount yearly that you are supposed to pay to support the child.

It is then divided by 12 months, creating your monthly amount due. This is done to make sure that the childs home is still in tact when he gets back.

The support was calculated taking into consideration the amount of time the child is with you, be it every other weekend or a lump of time in the summer, or week on week off.

Silverplum

Ithildriel said:
The support was calculated taking into consideration the amount of time the child is with you, be it every other weekend or a lump of time in the summer, or week on week off.
Actually, Ithi, as far as I could see in a quick check, IL is just a "% of Obligor Income" state. I could be wrong.

(I like calling you "Ithi," and really hope you don't mind! :) )

CJane

Silverplum said:
Actually, Ithi, as far as I could see in a quick check, IL is just a "% of Obligor Income" state. I could be wrong.

(I like calling you "Ithi," and really hope you don't mind! :) )
You're correct. In IL, it matters not at all how much $$ the CP makes, or how much time the NCP spends with the kids. CS is awarded to CP based on a flat % of the NCP's income, based on the # of children addressed in the order.

Silverplum

CJane said:
You're correct. In IL, it matters not at all how much $$ the CP makes, or how much time the NCP spends with the kids. CS is awarded to CP based on a flat % of the NCP's income, based on the # of children addressed in the order.
Thanks much for clarifying/confirming, CJane. :)

Silverplum

heididun said:
In my state, the NCP is able to pay 1/2 child support during one month of summer visitation.
Which matters not at all, because the poster's question has been thoroughly answered CORRECTLY, and your state and your situation are different. Geez.

heididun

This is a forum where people talk, duh! Are you really that bored that you have to attack every poster? My free advice to all you that feel a need to attack everyone is to GET A LIFE! Go work out or something. You need to take out all your anger in a more positive way.

Silverplum

heididun said:
This is a forum where people talk, duh! Are you really that bored that you have to attack every poster? My free advice to all you that feel a need to attack everyone is to GET A LIFE! Go work out or something. You need to take out all your anger in a more positive way.
Little heidi, we don't care if you want to chatter. Go join Dr.Phil.com or, better, Oprah.com.

What WE care about is that you know nothing of family law, yet spew your ignorance about with abandon. That's a no-no. Do you get it?

trivia3 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am trying to understand this. I am recently divorced, and in the divorced decree my ex has custody of my son during the school year and I have custody during the summer. I pay child support currently. But please explain why do I still have to pay child support during the summer months to her when my son is in my custody. I am not asking that she pay me child support, I just don't understand why I must continue to pay.

In short...In Illinois the NCP pays reguardless of how much time is spent with each parent unless an agreement to not pay between the parents is reached PLEASE NOTE: The other parent has to agree to have you not pay (doesn't happen often, but depending on your ex it could if she is real nice). Apparently, you are considered the NCP so In Illinois you pay... She will not have to pay you child support, because you are the NCP and she is the CP...Also, it is common for the NCP to have extended visitation in the summer months...This is just how it works in Illinois...Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">