• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help. Disabled and unable to pay small back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dennisbriank

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
I have been disabled and unable to work for six years. I have obsessive compulsive disorder. I also have muscle myopathy (weakness) and short term memory problems brought on by use of stantin drugs. I had a very good work record for twenty years, working steadily despite ocd symptoms. I paid my child support then when due, in full always on time. The muscle and memory issues surfaced several years ago, making work impossible since then. At the time, my two daughters were both near or over 18. Child support had stopped for one, and stopped soon ofter disability for the other. I had accumulated a 3,000 dollar back support bill by the time my last daughter became of age. I have filed for and fought for disability I am entitled to by my work record. I have not received it to date due to difficulty proving muscular and memory problems with objective tests, and my ocd not being quite severe enough on it's own to cause disability according to social security. The only income in our household is a small ssi check for my wife, and ssi for two of my three younger children (second marriage) for being small in stature. It is illegal to use their income on anything but their needs to my best knowledge. I was taken to court a few years ago for failure to pay this total, a 'motion to show cause'. They reduced the amount to 50.oo a month, but would not stop it without my disability being confirmed by social security. My father paid this debt for me up to recently. He now is in a nursing home and cannot help further (last three months or so). The debt has gone unpaid since then. I will not use my childrens' or wife's money for such a debt, it is illegal as far as I know and just wrong. My ex wife has been very aggressive and unsympathetic regarding my payment of this debt, as has the child support agency. I have explained my situation to them, they have responded only by filing another 'motion to show cause' again. This motion carries with it contempt of court if convicted. I am due in court in june for this issue.I would be very grateful for any helpful advice or help which can be offered. Thanks..Dennis (fyi 1,500 of this debt is still owed, and I am entitled to a attorney with this charge if I choose at initial hearing)

Last edited:

Zephyr

do you have anything you could sell in order to get that amount? or maybe some side/short terms jobs you could do to get that amount?

SIN EATER

The choice at court will probably be jail or pay immediately or possibly probation/community supervision.

You have to pay. The bill accrued while you were not disabled.
Save money each month and pay the 50.00.
Try to sell something or work ,as Zephyr suggested, to pay that bill.

Even if you did jail time for not paying, when you get released you still owe the money and they can refile the enforcement motion (more jail).

Search for more money.
Many OCD people are great employees. Try for a part-time job. Don't quit so soon. There are plenty of jobs out there for OCD & short-term memory problem employees (cleaning houses/commercial property is a good one. Muscles build with use).

Maybe the allure of everyone in the home being on SSI is affecting you.
How small in stature does one have to be to qualify for SSI ??

BL

You need a consult with an SSI Attorney , if you have never used one .

If the Attorney takes your case , you will have to file a new claim with SSA , if you have exhausted All you appeals that have to be filed timely .

Once you have filed , obtain the receipt/letter of your application and show the court .

You need to get some Dr's. behind you .

Dennisbriank

Thank you for the reply

The choice at court will probably be jail or pay immediately or possibly probation/community supervision.

You have to pay. The bill accrued while you were not disabled.
Save money each month and pay the 50.00.
Try to sell something or work ,as Zephyr suggested, to pay that bill.

Even if you did jail time for not paying, when you get released you still owe the money and they can refile the enforcement motion (more jail).

Search for more money.
Many OCD people are great employees. Try for a part-time job. Don't quit so soon. There are plenty of jobs out there for OCD & short-term memory problem employees (cleaning houses/commercial property is a good one. Muscles build with use).

Maybe the allure of everyone in the home being on SSI is affecting you.
How small in stature does one have to be to qualify for SSI ??
The debt was accrued after I became disabled. I have quit the stantin drugs which caused the muscle myopathy, and have started several drugs to combat the problem I am left with. They have helped marginally, so I am now looking for a part time job I can handle. This takes time unfortunately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">