• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help if you can.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mech1804088

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? west virginia

I received a notice in the mail today from a child support collections agency. I have never received any notice before to pay child support, or any kind of court order.
I want custody of my son, but he is in a different state, his custodial parent moved and does not talk to me.
How can I defend myself against this?
Do I have to get defense in the state it came from?
I'm on disability, and have had many credit checks apparently this has been going on for a while and I owe around 9000 dollars, how do I remove that or get that lowered?
Can I use this as an opportunity to see my son?
I received an emailed threat from my mother saying she would report me if I didn't stop contact from my sister, so she knew about this and didn't report me before or say anything to me. Can I do something about this as well?

Isis1

I received a notice in the mail today from a child support collections agency. I have never received any notice before to pay child support, or any kind of court order.
I want custody of my son, but he is in a different state, his custodial parent moved and does not talk to me.
I'm on disability, and have had many credit checks apparently this has been going on for a while and I owe around 9000 dollars, how do I remove that or get that lowered?
Can I use this as an opportunity to see my son?I received an emailed threat from my mother saying she would report me if I didn't stop contact from my sister, so she knew about this and didn't report me before or say anything to me. Can I do something about this as well?
that bolded sentence? um..dude. are you serious? you need to sit back and decide if that's how you really see your child.

let me ask you something. did you know about this child? if you did, then you should have ALREADY been paying support. so why this is a surprise to you is beyond me. if not, well, now you know.

so, defend yourself against what, exactly? against being a responsible parent? it doesn't work like that.

first, you need to get a copy of the court order. then find out if you can request a vacate of the order (this is time constrained so it might be possible this isn't even an option for you). if a vacate order is possible, you can request a paternity test, provide your correct contact information so your never out of the loop again, and reset the child support amount based on your true income.

if not, that $9000 isn't moving anywhere, but you may be able to request a modification for your current true income and establish a payment plan for the arrears.

now, child custody and visitation is seperate from support. first thing is first. no, you will not be getting custody of the child. this is a stunt almost all irresponsible parents (yeah, moms AND dads) pull once they receive child support orders. so the judge will see right through this and throw it out. so don't even go down that road.

what you CAN and SHOULD do, if file for joint legal custody and visitation rights. when is the last time you saw your child?

mistoffolees

Can I use this as an opportunity to see my son?
I received an emailed threat from my mother saying she would report me if I didn't stop contact from my sister, so she knew about this and didn't report me before or say anything to me. Can I do something about this as well?
Let's start with basics.

1. Where you ever legally established as the father?
2. You state that you have never received any notice requiring you to pay support. Have you asked the agency to provide evidence to support the arrears?
3. Who is the notice from - specifically?

You're probably going to need to start by asking for an accounting as to how much is owed and why - including proof that there was ever an enforceable order. If there is an order but you were never served, you can challenge it.

As for seeing your child, you will have to file with the court for visitation rights. If there was a previous order regarding the child, that state will retain jurisdiction. If there was no previous order, you'll file wherever the child has most recently been living for 6 months or more.

Isis1

thank you for your help, don't pass judgement unless you know the situation.
we only know what you decide to tell us. so you are the one representing yourself the way you did. i'm in the child's corner here. the one you are NOT seeing and have NOT taken the step needed to ensure a healthy relationship with said child.

so you can either use the information and DO something, or you can whine and feel sorry for yourself. your call. i'm rooting for the child and hoping you WILL step forward and be responsible.

mech1804088

the order says this came from the department of human services
this came from tennessee and I am in west virginia, so I need to go to TN to file to see my son. Would I have to file against this notice there as well?

mech1804088

we only know what you decide to tell us. so you are the one representing yourself the way you did. i'm in the child's corner here. the one you are NOT seeing and have NOT taken the step needed to ensure a healthy relationship with said child.

so you can either use the information and DO something, or you can whine and feel sorry for yourself. your call. i'm rooting for the child and hoping you WILL step forward and be responsible.
so did you miss it when I said the parent who has the child moved and will not talk to me? You can't file for custody if you do not have physical custody of the child, or even know where they are.

mech1804088

oh i get it you have a grudge against people not paying their child support because you are in that situation. If you actually read and thought about what I typed instead of being blinded by your own anger at your situation you would get it.

Antigone*

the order says this came from the department of human services
this came from tennessee and I am in west virginia, so I need to go to TN to file to see my son. Would I have to file against this notice there as well?
Sounds like mom is on public assistance and named you as dad.

Are you on SSI or SSDI?

Silverplum

oh i get it you have a grudge against people not paying their child support because you are in that situation. If you actually read and thought about what I typed instead of being blinded by your own anger at your situation you would get it.
You're incorrect.

If YOU read what ISIS typed instead of being blinded by your own anger at your situation, you would get it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">