• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help with my options, my life is falling apart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Patrick2013

I recently found out I have a child in Utah. The state wants $600 a month in child support plus add the child to my health insurance. To them its all numbers, but if I have to pay that I won't be able to live. I won't be able to have a family of my own with my fiance or pay for plane tickets to see my daughter that lives in another state that I have a wonderful relationship with. This child was raised by another man, I have no connection. The only reason I know about him is because his mother wanted me to sign away rights so that her husband could adopt. Now they're getting a divorce and I have no options. He was born before they were married so there's nothing that can be done that way. If my fiance leaves me over this. I won't be able to go on. She's my life and I'm panicking. She knows about everything, I haven't hid anything. She doesn't know if she wants to be with me now. If she leaves, I'll lose her, our house, and my job since I have nowhere to go and would have to move in with family in another state. I would never be able to pay all the child support... I'm so lost
Generally child support ends when the child reaches the age of majority or some other emancipating event occurs. The obligation to provide support to a child would also end if the child was adopted by another party. Therefore if you really went through an adoption, then the adopter would be required to pay CS.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Generally child support ends when the child reaches the age of majority or some other emancipating event occurs. The obligation to provide support to a child would also end if the child was adopted by another party. Therefore if you really went through an adoption, then the adopter would be required to pay CS.
While what you say is true, it seems that you missed this:

Yes, I had a paternity test. In the time it took to get results back so I could sign rights away for an adoption, they are getting a divorce.

No adoption took place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">