• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please, I know I have posted before...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iltmthm

What is the name of your state? FL

I know I have posted before and I wish I could say that this matter was resolved but I just have one more question...

Does child support begin from birth or from the time paternity is established? My husband has been paying an amount that bio mom told him but he has never had a paternity test done. He's just been paying. It's 7 years later, he's ready to file for custody (son lives with us anyway) but we are just trying to figure out before he goes in what to expect. We're trying to figure out how far back he would owe child support if the courts established a higher figure than bio mom demanded.

I apologize for my overwhelming fear of this situation and thank all who have given response.

VeronicaGia

iltmthm said:
What is the name of your state? FL

I know I have posted before and I wish I could say that this matter was resolved but I just have one more question...

Does child support begin from birth or from the time paternity is established? My husband has been paying an amount that bio mom told him but he has never had a paternity test done. He's just been paying. It's 7 years later, he's ready to file for custody (son lives with us anyway) but we are just trying to figure out before he goes in what to expect. We're trying to figure out how far back he would owe child support if the courts established a higher figure than bio mom demanded.

I apologize for my overwhelming fear of this situation and thank all who have given response.
If there was never a support order, and he receives custody, she will have to pay him from the date he files for support.

iltmthm

He wants to gain custody but is worried that he'll have to pay her
for retro-support if it is determined that he didn't pay her enough. He didn't want to rock the boat then so he just went along with what she says. We don't care if she pays us. We just want to be aware of costs we'll incur. He's filing today for his paternity test, since he can't begin without it. From other posts, I am confused if child support begins from birth, paternity establishment or from the date filed?

wrkngmom

I'm not a lawyer, but I understood that it goes from the date she files for support. If she does not file for support, none would be awarded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">