• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Policeman boyfriend took my money & i am pregnut

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amy Gibbs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I was involved in a romantic relationship with a police officer in california for 8 months. He needed money, i gave him over 3,000 dollars. He wanted a huge amount for personal reasons, i declined, he broke off our relationship.I am now 4 months pregnut with our child. My question is, do i have any rights? I have not been able to carry on my regular working life, due to being so devistated. He will not repay my money & he wants me to pay for an abortion. It is all too much to deal with with. Is there anything i can do & not be laughed at in court because he is a policeman?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

I was involved in a romantic relationship with a police officer in california for 8 months. He needed money, i gave him over 3,000 dollars. He wanted a huge amount for personal reasons, i declined, he broke off our relationship.I am now 4 months pregnut with our child. My question is, do i have any rights? I have not been able to carry on my regular working life, due to being so devistated. He will not repay my money & he wants me to pay for an abortion. It is all too much to deal with with. Is there anything i can do & not be laughed at in court because he is a policeman?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You can wait until the child is born and then file to establish paternity, custody and child support.

You gave him money - you can't get that back now.

ecmst12

Being unable to work because you are "devastated" is not going to get you very far. Get some therapy and go back to work. No man is worth that, and if you are that depressed, you need treatment because it's not good for your baby.

CSO286

I was involved in a romantic relationship with a police officer in california for 8 months.
Ok.

He needed money, i gave him over 3,000 dollars.
To a guy you've been dating for only eight months? Wow. Important word usages noted here: You "gave" him the money. You didn't "loan" him the money.

He wanted a huge amount for personal reasons, i declined, he broke off our relationship.I am now 4 months pregnut with our child.
Three grand is huge amount to me to be giving away....I would have dumped him sooner.
Ok, so now you are pregnant. I assume by your post that you now intend to have and keep the child?

My question is, do i have any rights?
What do want to do? What rights are you wondering about? You can choose whether or not to have the child. You have not right to prevent him from establishing paternity, and requesting joint custody and a parenting plan.

I have not been able to carry on my regular working life, due to being so devistated.
Seriously? Look I was in a realtionship with a wonderful,although crazy (DX schizo, paranoid delusional, PTSD) man. Our realtionship ended when he took his own life. I took off three weeks from work to deal with everything. I returned to work becasue there are bills to be paid, and a child to care for.
If you are going to be a parent--you need a reality check now. You don't get the liberty of being "devastated", because you are responisible for another person's well being. Learn this now. You need to get your happy self back to work and start saving money now, because babies are expensive.

He will not repay my money & he wants me to pay for an abortion. It is all too much to deal with with.
By your own words, you gave him the money. He has no obligation to repay you.

You can choose whether or not to have this child. HE doens't get ot make that decision. If contact with him is stressing you out, stop engaging. HE doesn't have any right over the unborn child and once the child is born, he doesn't have any rights until he (or you, or the state if you are on any kind of public assistance) takes steps to establish paternity and he either voluntarily acknowleges paternity or is found to be the father by court action.

Is there anything i can do & not be laughed at in court because he is a policeman?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why would you be laughed at?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I love it when people start new threads because they don't like the answers they received in their last one.
In all fairness, this is simply a duplicate post/thread. The first post in THIS thread was made a minute before the first response in the OTHER thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">