• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post minor support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boothe73

What is the name of your state? NY

I am 21 years old, and my mother is currently required to pay child support to my father who has custody, this was stipulated in the divorce agreement that child support must be paid while either me or my sister are in college. My father has recently told me that he is no longer going to provide any monetary help toward my college expenses, and also has asked me to move out of his house. My question is, if I move to my mothers will he be required to pay her support? Also if I move to my own apartment can I have the support sent to me to help toward living expenses and tuition? I ask this becasue he is currently paying almost $10,000 a year toward my $24,000 tuition, in which I have taken the rest of the debt with loans and my own earnings, and I have 3 semesters left and will be unable to continue to attend my current college due to the inability to obtain a larger loan for myself becasue of my lack of credit and no co-signer. Please let me know what I might be able to do about my situation, thank you.

Options...

A few ideas...don't know if any will work for you:

1. Move out. Dad's pissed. How's that song go? "Mama don't want you, Daddy don't need you, give it up baby, baby; Money can't buy ya love."

2. Drop out of school. Mom won't have to pay support for you -- that'll show the Old Man.

3. Get a real job. Forget that part-time stuff...you can go back to school later, when you can afford it. And for goodness sakes, pay off those student loans!

4. Get a boyfriend. Now that Pop's not footin' the bill or puttin' a roof over your head -- if Mom won't take you in, you're might want someone else to cover the spread.

5. Join the Army. The GI Bill will cover most of your debt. They'll let you move in for 4 years. Yes, the food's FREE!

6. Transfer. Go to a state school -- much less expensive.

7. NY = Broadway. If you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere!

8. You're 21...Drink to forget the good ol' days.

You see...it only took me 2 minutes. If you sit down and think about it, I'm sure your options are ENDLESS.

LdiJ

boothe73 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I am 21 years old, and my mother is currently required to pay child support to my father who has custody, this was stipulated in the divorce agreement that child support must be paid while either me or my sister are in college. My father has recently told me that he is no longer going to provide any monetary help toward my college expenses, and also has asked me to move out of his house. My question is, if I move to my mothers will he be required to pay her support? Also if I move to my own apartment can I have the support sent to me to help toward living expenses and tuition? I ask this becasue he is currently paying almost $10,000 a year toward my $24,000 tuition, in which I have taken the rest of the debt with loans and my own earnings, and I have 3 semesters left and will be unable to continue to attend my current college due to the inability to obtain a larger loan for myself becasue of my lack of credit and no co-signer. Please let me know what I might be able to do about my situation, thank you.
Ok, I am going to try to give you a REAL answer. If dad is forcing you to move out and is no longer intends to contribute to college, then your mother can petition to terminate child support and win. There is a slight chance (very slight but I have seen it happen) that a judge might order that she pay it directly to you instead of your father. However she would have to petition for that.

Otherwise, the odds are that you aren't going to be able to continue going to school full time. I really do understand your problem. If you don't continue school full time then the student loans are going to start having to be paid...if you do continue school you can't support yourself. What caused this problem with your dad?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">