• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-nup?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mph821

What is the name of your state? California

What advise do you give a woman who is thinking about marrying a divroced man, with three kids, a vindictive ex-wife, back child support, and current financial issues? Besides don't! Will a pre-nup save her house, income, and bank accounts/money markets/cds? Her concern isn't him but the ex, she don't want to lose everything she has worked so hard for over the last 10 years. Any advice?

BRN2005

?????

Why would either of you want to get married under these circumstances? In all honesty, I think you would both be better off (financially) if you did not get married now. The only reason I would marry at this point is if you are the kind who cannot just "live in sin" or if you are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant. The "vendictive X" can come after joint assets and base monetary demands based on both incomes (depending on other circumstances). I do not believe a prenuptual agreement between you and "hubby" would make any difference in what "vendictive X" could come after (and get).
Note: This is not legal advice, this is best friend or maternal type advice.

CandiceH

Okay, the above info definitely was NOT legal advice as stated. If you do a search of the site you may find info based specifically for your state. If you keep your accounts separate, do not have joint accounts at all, or property together then your assets SHOULD be secure. I would give you this advice in any case if you are going to marry someone that has such a horrible financial background. A pre-nup may help you keep your assets from HIM acquiring them should there become a divorce but the only way to protect them from HIS issues is to keep everything separate.

LdiJ

CandiceH said:
Okay, the above info definitely was NOT legal advice as stated. If you do a search of the site you may find info based specifically for your state. If you keep your accounts separate, do not have joint accounts at all, or property together then your assets SHOULD be secure. I would give you this advice in any case if you are going to marry someone that has such a horrible financial background. A pre-nup may help you keep your assets from HIM acquiring them should there become a divorce but the only way to protect them from HIS issues is to keep everything separate.
Its California, which is a community property state. That does tend to make things a bit more complicated. Keeping things completely separate and not owning any property together is helpful but a solid prenup is probably a very good idea.

CandiceH

LdiJ said:
Its California, which is a community property state. That does tend to make things a bit more complicated. Keeping things completely separate and not owning any property together is helpful but a solid prenup is probably a very good idea.
Yah, I agree with this, that is why I said SHOULD. My step dad had a prenup but lost his house, his daughters house (he gave her the downpayment as a wedding gift) and most of his other property because the prenup was not solid enough - that was in CA.:eek: Scary place to get married.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">