• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pregnant teen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyinga

What is the name of your state? GA
My husband and his ex-wife have two children together. They each have custody of one child. The one that was living with us went back to live with her mom about a year ago. We starting paying her child support at the same amount we were paying before we got custody on one child but didnt take it through the courts since we couldnt afford an attorney nor could she. The daughter now 17 is pregnant. She still claims her mothers address but stays a lot with her boyfriend. I have know a girl that got pregnant 5 years ago at age 17. Her father called child support office who was taking support out of his check and had it stopped. I have read everything I can find on child support and can nopt find anything on this.....If we go to court for child support will bwe have to pay support for his 17 year old who is pregnant. Seems to me like if she thinks shes adult enough to have a baby we shouldnt still be supporting her.

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? GA
My husband and his ex-wife have two children together. They each have custody of one child. The one that was living with us went back to live with her mom about a year ago. We starting paying her child support at the same amount we were paying before we got custody on one child but didnt take it through the courts since we couldnt afford an attorney nor could she. The daughter now 17 is pregnant. She still claims her mothers address but stays a lot with her boyfriend. I have know a girl that got pregnant 5 years ago at age 17. Her father called child support office who was taking support out of his check and had it stopped. I have read everything I can find on child support and can nopt find anything on this.....If we go to court for child support will bwe have to pay support for his 17 year old who is pregnant. Seems to me like if she thinks shes adult enough to have a baby we shouldnt still be supporting her.
"We" don't have to support her, but her father does until a court decides otherwise.

crazyinga

With us its all "We".
We are not ordered to pay support at this point and thatis what we were wondering if we would have to pay for her since she is 17 and pregnant.

Gracie3787

With us its all "We".
We are not ordered to pay support at this point and thatis what we were wondering if we would have to pay for her since she is 17 and pregnant.
Only because there isn't a court order, yes, your husband can stop paying if he wishes. However, his ex can also file for support so it might be a wash. Since pregnancy isn't the same as marriage or emancipation, if the ex files, your husband will be ordered to pay support for his pregnant minor child.

CourtClerk

That's nice, but where the law is concerned there is no "we," in fact, you don't figure into this at all.

However, if your husband is not court ordered to pay support at all, then he doesn't have to give anyone one red cent.

De iure

"We" don't have to support her, but her father does until a court decides otherwise.

However, if your husband is not court ordered to pay support at all, then he doesn't have to give anyone one red cent.

And you complain about other people's posts ? Which is it ?

Waaaambulance

Huh? Can you please learn how to use the "quote" function on these forums.

crazyinga

I understand that all of you seem to think there is no "we" to it but seeing how WE do not separate our money.....his money is mine....my money is his! Then WE pay whatever needs to be paid. Needless to say I raised this child for 4 years while he was working on the road and rarely home. It was me the mother called when she decided she didn’t want this child....told me to "come get this b**ch she’s not staying here anymore". To this day it is still me she calls when she needs something or wants to vent about her bad children. So, even though the courts do not consider my income when figuring support it is definitely a "We" thing!
We (my husband nor I)do not feel we should have to pay support to the mother when the child is living with the boyfriend and only claiming her mothers mailing address because they want to continue to receive the support money.....so they have told people anyway.

CLBKLCDTB

I understand that all of you seem to think there is no "we" to it but seeing how WE do not separate our money.....his money is mine....my money is his! Then WE pay whatever needs to be paid. Needless to say I raised this child for 4 years while he was working on the road and rarely home. It was me the mother called when she decided she didn’t want this child....told me to "come get this b**ch she’s not staying here anymore". To this day it is still me she calls when she needs something or wants to vent about her bad children. So, even though the courts do not consider my income when figuring support it is definitely a "We" thing!
We (my husband nor I)do not feel we should have to pay support to the mother when the child is living with the boyfriend and only claiming her mothers mailing address because they want to continue to receive the support money.....so they have told people anyway.

The LAW doesnt see it as a WE thing.

If your husband would have went to court and gotten a court order, you would know this already.

HE doesnt have a court order. He can stop paying.

MOM can file for support of the minor child. (maybe HE would be ordered to pay more than what he is paying without the order)

As for YOU parenting this child.....
Here you sound pretty mean. If this has rolled over to the child, maybe that is why she went back to mom....without a court order.

Take your above attitude to a judge...see how far you get.

Combined incomes is one thing.
The support of HIS child in another.

If HE feels he should stop supporting his Child who is carring HIS Grandchild. (granted not the perfect situation but) The choice is HIS to make, not yours. Just as it would be MOMs choice to take him to court.

And guess what...Mom can request a closed court. Which means...the above WE you speak of will not count.;)

Silverplum

What you ~feel~ matters not a bit. What matters is the law.

crazyinga

The LAW doesnt see it as a WE thing.

If your husband would have went to court and gotten a court order, you would know this already.

HE doesnt have a court order. He can stop paying.

MOM can file for support of the minor child. (maybe HE would be ordered to pay more than what he is paying without the order)

As for YOU parenting this child.....
Here you sound pretty mean. If this has rolled over to the child, maybe that is why she went back to mom....without a court order.

Take your above attitude to a judge...see how far you get.

Combined incomes is one thing.
The support of HIS child in another.

If HE feels he should stop supporting his Child who is carring HIS Grandchild. (granted not the perfect situation but) The choice is HIS to make, not yours. Just as it would be MOMs choice to take him to court.

And guess what...Mom can request a closed court. Which means...the above WE you speak of will not count.;)
The child went back to live with her mother because WE would not allow her to stay out all hours of the night, spend the night with boys, and other things. When she started trying to get physical with us her father decided it was better to let her go than have to call the cops because she was trying to fight us when we wouldnt let her do these things!
And no I was never mean to her nor will I ever be!
Thanks

OP, can you confirm, for certain, that there isn't a court order for support on the books?

We starting paying her child support at the same amount we were paying before we got custody...
I'm not so sure there isn't. Maybe there is specific language in the divorce degree? (Speculating) Otherwise, how would your husband know what to pay????

crazyinga

OP, can you confirm, for certain, that there isn't a court order for support on the books?

I'm not so sure there isn't. Maybe there is specific language in the divorce degree? (Speculating) Otherwise, how would your husband know what to pay????
At one time she had both children. One day she called me at work and told me to come get the oldest said she couldnt handle her anymore. She ended up bringing her to me. A month later she gave me the money to pay my attorney to have the child custody and support papers changed. They now state that each parent has custody of one monir child and no support is ordered to either party. Since she has gone back to live with her Mom we have not been able to afford to pay an attorney nor has she so we agreed that we would pay her the same amout of support we were paying before the papers were changed with the intent of having it done through the courts at a later date when we could afford to pay an attorney tho change them. To date we have not been able to do that nor has she.
I understand that being a "grandparent" could be an enjoyable time though the daughter is not yet over us not allowing her to run wild at 15 and does not seem to want us to be a part of this other than wanting money. Its really sad!

At one time she had both children. One day she called me at work and told me to come get the oldest said she couldnt handle her anymore. She ended up bringing her to me. A month later she gave me the money to pay my attorney to have the child custody and support papers changed. They now state that each parent has custody of one monir child and no support is ordered to either party. Since she has gone back to live with her Mom we have not been able to afford to pay an attorney nor has she so we agreed that we would pay her the same amout of support we were paying before the papers were changed with the intent of having it done through the courts at a later date when we could afford to pay an attorney tho change them. To date we have not been able to do that nor has she.
I understand that being a "grandparent" could be an enjoyable time though the daughter is not yet over us not allowing her to run wild at 15 and does not seem to want us to be a part of this other than wanting money. Its really sad!
Absent changing the standing order, what your husband has been giving mom could be considered a gift. Hopefully he's retained receipts to dispute otherwise just in case. However, mom could very well go back to court for a modification and your husband will be required to pay support for the minor child regardless of whether or not she's pregnant unless, of course, she can be proven to be emancipated.

crazyinga

Absent changing the standing order, what your husband has been giving mom could be considered a gift. Hopefully he's retained receipts to dispute otherwise just in case. However, mom could very well go back to court for a modification and your husband will be required to pay support for the minor child regardless of whether or not she's pregnant unless, of course, she can be proven to be emancipated.
Thats about what we were thinking. We know she stays with her boyfriend therefore Moms not supporting her. I have been told that chances are we would not have to pay the ex since the child is not living at home. I believe that is what she is thinking as well because they try to make us believe she is still living at home. She uses her moms mailing address for everything just doesnt stay there making it look like she lives at home. Cant "prove" she doesnt.
So basically I guess it boils down to....she pregnant living with a boyfriend but yet we will have to pay support to the mom who is not even supporting her....her boyfriend is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">