• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

prepaying extraordinary medical expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curious2011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My son recently got braces and my ex wants to pay the full amount of the charge up front rather than use the dentist's 0% financing. By doing this, she is over the 'Ordinary Medical Expenses' for the year and wants me to pay the percentage for the overage. Since the dentist only requires a small start up fee and monthly payments for the anticipated 20 months am I liable because she decides to prepay the charges? :confused:

Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

OHRoadwarrior

It is customary to pay for the braces upfront. The financing plan is for those who cannot afford to pay for them. It is not for ex's to avoid paying their portion of the bill. It probably is not a hill to die on. I'm sure you will have a very unhappy judge, the next time you appear in court, if you don't pay your portion though. I suggest you finance your portion, if you cannot afford it upfront. My spouse's ex did so and survived.

curious2011

Here it's fairly standard to make monthly payments as the child goes in for their adjustments. Nobody I have talked to has paid up front. I don't have any problem paying what I am responsible for, I just feel like she's doing it this way to be able to get over the 'ordinary expense' limit for the year. When we were married, she handled all of the bills and never paid anything before it was due.

Thanks for the advice

ecmst12

Even if you finance the cost, it will still be considered an expense for this year, because this is the year when it was incurred.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Here it's fairly standard to make monthly payments as the child goes in for their adjustments. Nobody I have talked to has paid up front. I don't have any problem paying what I am responsible for, I just feel like she's doing it this way to be able to get over the 'ordinary expense' limit for the year. When we were married, she handled all of the bills and never paid anything before it was due.

Thanks for the advice
I laid out ~$4K this past July for braces. Saved 10%. And no bill to keep up with. :cool:

OHRoadwarrior

I parlayed dental insurance for $2500 off. Then hit spouse's ex for 40% of the remainder. Even the dentist was surprised both insurances paid happily.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Thanks for the advice
I paid for my daughter's braces up front to get the 5% discount on them. Daddy is mad for the same reason that you are. FOC will go based on what is PAID.

curious2011

When there are 2 policies covering a patient they should both be billed.

Thank you both for your advice. I guess I'm just a little gun-shy. Since the day the final order was signed she has been after me for every nickle and dime she can get. Even the papers she sent me about the dentist bill don't add up. The amount she has listed for each of us totals up to more than the total charges.

Since we have had so many issues and so many times we have had to involve the FOC I think I'm just going to send her the reimbursement form from their website. When I have the copy I'll be able to see how it was paid. If she does pay it in full then I'll have to reimburse her for my percentage and if she doesn't then I won't. Guess there isn't much sense fretting over what she may or may not do.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Thank you both for your advice. I guess I'm just a little gun-shy. Since the day the final order was signed she has been after me for every nickle and dime she can get. Even the papers she sent me about the dentist bill don't add up. The amount she has listed for each of us totals up to more than the total charges.

Since we have had so many issues and so many times we have had to involve the FOC I think I'm just going to send her the reimbursement form from their website. When I have the copy I'll be able to see how it was paid. If she does pay it in full then I'll have to reimburse her for my percentage and if she doesn't then I won't. Guess there isn't much sense fretting over what she may or may not do.
make sure you get EOB's. Now, my dentist doesn't send them out, but I get a decent statement from them.

OHRoadwarrior

So you are aware, their are braces expenses and in addition, other expenses that can be billed under regular dental. This may be the difference you are seeing. Check with your dental plans. Some will pay all upfront, some want to pay by visit.

curious2011

No. She just can't add. she wants me to pay 57% and her pay 53%.

She did the same kind of math when we were trying to come up with the settlement or the arbitrator.

mistoffolees

You do have the right to see the amount that is actually paid. Do NOT go off the dentist's bill, but rather insist in receipts showing the amounts paid. It is not uncommon for someone to end up paying less than the original billed amount - either because insurance kicks in some or because the dentist offers a discount for cash payment. Tell her that you'll pay only based on receipts showing the amounts actually paid.

CSO286

No. She just can't add. she wants me to pay 57% and her pay 53%.

She did the same kind of math when we were trying to come up with the settlement or the arbitrator.
I like that....adds up to 110%**************.:rolleyes:

Offer to let her keep paying the 53% she wants and you'll simply pay 47%.
:D;)

SESmama

This makes me wonder if OP is actually trying to get out of paying for any of it. If the orthodontics are paid for monthly then it may not go over the OME and therefore OP would not have to pay. Unless, of course, I read this wrong and if so please let me know.

http://courts.mi.gov/scao/resources/publications/manuals/focb/2008MCSFmanual.pdf

Page 18

3.04(B) Ordinary Medical Expense Obligations
(1) In order to reimburse the support recipient’s qualifying medical expenditures for
the children within the same calendar year, every support order should set an
appropriate annual ordinary medical expense amount for the children and apportion
payment of the annual amount between the parents according to each parent’s
percentage share of family income.
(2) When setting the annual amount, presume that the amount listed for the appropriate
number of children in Ordinary Medical Expense Average Table (found in the
supplement) is the amount that will be spent on ordinary medical expenses.
Amounts may be added to the Table amounts to compensate for additional
uninsured expenses that can be predicted in advance (e.g., orthodontia, special
medical needs, or ongoing treatments).
(3) Ordinary Expense Payments
(a) The annual ordinary medical expense amount restarts every calendar year and
remains in effect with the rest of the support obligation or until further order of
the court.
2008 MICHIGAN CHILD SUPPORT FORMULA MANUAL
(i) The support payer’s apportioned share of ordinary medical expenses
should be ordered paid as part of the monthly support obligation and
maintained by the support recipient.
(ii) The support recipient’s apportioned share of ordinary expenses is
directly contributed by the recipient as expenses occur.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">