• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Preschool & Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NumeroUnoDadio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My daughter is 1 year and 4 months old. My ex just brought up that she would like for my daughter to start attending a daycare or preschool starting at the age of 2. My ex does not have a job, and I make a low income. I do not know how we/I would be able to afford daycare or preschool. Please see my questions below.

Note: There is nothing in our court order that says anything about paying daycare or preschool costs.

Is the cost of Preschool/Daycare built into child support?

When my daughter reaches 5 years old and is of kindergarten age and my ex wants her to attend a private christian k-8 school will I be responsible to pay the tuition as well?

ANY information will be appreciated. Thanks!

sandyclaus

My daughter is 1 year and 4 months old. My ex just brought up that she would like for my daughter to start attending a daycare or preschool starting at the age of 2. My ex does not have a job, and I make a low income. I do not know how we/I would be able to afford daycare or preschool. Please see my questions below.

Note: There is nothing in our court order that says anything about paying daycare or preschool costs.

When my daughter reaches 5 years old and is of kindergarten age and my ex wants her to attend a private christian k-8 school will I be responsible to pay the tuition as well?

Unless the current child support order includes payment of daycare of preschool costs, then you can assume that it isn't included in the amount you are paying.

If your ex does not work, then what justification does she have for putting the child into daycare? How is she supporting herself now? Does she plan to get a job or start attending school? These factors could come into play when considering a change in the needs of the child for the purpose of assessing child support.

Depending on mom's reasons for deciding to put her child into daycare now, you might want to consider going into court and requesting a change in the child support payments accordingly.

LdiJ

There are programs available for low income people, and it certainly sounds like the two of you would qualify.

There also might be scholarships available for the private school. However, in general it would be very unlikely for a judge to order you to pay for private school, against, your will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">