• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private school and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sbeavers821

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My husband and I live in Ohio, he has shared parenting of his two daughters. Their mom is residential parent for school purposes only. We have them every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. He pays almost $600 a month in child support (he makes $55,000 and his ex makes $35,000 a year): however in his divorce agreement from 2013 he agreed to pay private school tuition for his girls through 8th grade. They are now in 4th and 6th grade and private school tuition is now more than $430 a month. We pay this along with child support, insurance, and any clothes or items they need for our house. Their mom lives in a different school district than us but she works in the same school district we live. The public schools in this district are excellent, in fact, my 3 kids go there. outside of the cost for tuition, we would really like his girls to switch to public school. We don't agree with some of the religious beliefs they are learning and we know they will have to go to public high school so we would like to make the transition sooner rather than later so it may be easier for them. The private school they go to is small but their is no specific purpose they go there....they aren't not gifted or special education or consideration or anything of that nature. Their mother will not agree to this swig and states we must keep paying the tuition like the court papers dictate. What are our options if any? Will a judge take this into consideration or would we likely be wasting our money going to court? Additionally, what is the likelyhood the judge would change visitation? We aren't crazy about the kids switching house basically every night and we don't believe it's healthy for them?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My husband and I live in Ohio, he has shared parenting of his two daughters. Their mom is residential parent for school purposes only. We have them every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. He pays almost $600 a month in child support (he makes $55,000 and his ex makes $35,000 a year): however in his divorce agreement from 2013 he agreed to pay private school tuition for his girls through 8th grade. They are now in 4th and 6th grade and private school tuition is now more than $430 a month. We pay this along with child support, insurance, and any clothes or items they need for our house. Their mom lives in a different school district than us but she works in the same school district we live. The public schools in this district are excellent, in fact, my 3 kids go there. outside of the cost for tuition, we would really like his girls to switch to public school. We don't agree with some of the religious beliefs they are learning and we know they will have to go to public high school so we would like to make the transition sooner rather than later so it may be easier for them. The private school they go to is small but their is no specific purpose they go there....they aren't not gifted or special education or consideration or anything of that nature. Their mother will not agree to this swig and states we must keep paying the tuition like the court papers dictate. What are our options if any? Will a judge take this into consideration or would we likely be wasting our money going to court? Additionally, what is the likelyhood the judge would change visitation? We aren't crazy about the kids switching house basically every night and we don't believe it's healthy for them?
You started out so well...then shifted over to "we" :( There is no "we" in this matter. "We" don't pay child support. "We" don't matter when it comes to their schooling. "We" don't matter when it comes to religious beliefs. "We" won't be wasting any money going to court. The beliefs that "we" hold with regard to the visitation schedule don't matter.

Have one of the actual parents of the children log on to ask their own questions. Simply put, MYOB.

Silverplum

As a stepmother, I understand that you see this as a "we" situation: it's not. This is Dad's legal business, and he needs to ask his own questions.

He agreed to pay for private school: I don't see him getting off the hook for that. Even though his children aren't special or gifted or worth the money he spends on their educations. :)rolleyes: & :mad:)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OP, what do you say about what you have been told so far? Depending on your response, well, then I will chime in with information.

LdiJ

I would also google an online child support calculator for Ohio and run the numbers, because it very much looks like dad was given a lower child support amount to pay in exchange for agreeing to pay for private school tuition, therefore it looks like he would be paying more child support if he is no longer paying for private school. Therefore, it may not actually save any money to send the children to public school.

Changing their schedule so that there are not so many transitions would be a reasonable thing to attempt. Two weekdays in a row every week plus every other weekend would give him the same time that he has now.

Sbeavers821

OP, what do you say about what you have been told so far? Depending on your response, well, then I will chime in with information.[/QUOTE

I was just wanting to get some opinions and insight from others or from anyone who has been in a similar situation. I used the term "we" to show that I support my husband and his beliefs and thoughts and back his decisions. As far as being a stepparent I know my role, I have zero say where they go to school or how they are raised and so forth, I simple help support the kids financially and emotionally and love them and want what's best for the. I have three biological children of my own so trust me, I know where the line is drawn. Sorry if anyone was offended by my use of the work "we" or the fact that I was seeking out advice prior toy husband contacting a lawyer in order to have other perspectives for both me and him.

Sbeavers821

I would also google an online child support calculator for Ohio and run the numbers, because it very much looks like dad was given a lower child support amount to pay in exchange for agreeing to pay for private school tuition, therefore it looks like he would be paying more child support if he is no longer paying for private school. Therefore, it may not actually save any money to send the children to public school.

Changing their schedule so that there are not so many transitions would be a reasonable thing to attempt. Two weekdays in a row every week plus every other weekend would give him the same time that he has now.
Thank you!

Sbeavers821

The lower amount of support is related to him caring health insurance and paying child care in the summer.

Sbeavers821

We can count on you to catch 'foul balls'! :D:p

(Speaking of fouls, did OP delete in August?)
Thank you for catching that!!!! I've never posted on this site or any site before. Just wanted to approach the situation with an open mind. In my opinion the best way to do so is from getting the perspectives of others who are removed from the situation.

Sbeavers821

You had better still run the numbers, because I think that his child support is still low.
I'm looking at the sheet. Maybe it's r/t the 60/40 time split. I'm not sure. It's figure based on their income and then a deduction is given for insurance. It's would be almost $200 more if insurance wasn't provided. It's for 2 kids. I punched in the numbers on one of those feee child support calculators (not sure how reliable those are) but it came back with relatively the same figure... a difference of $30 a month. He has 2 kids, we live in Ohio and We/I carry the insurance on the kids.

Silverplum

I'm looking at the sheet. Maybe it's r/t the 60/40 time split. I'm not sure. It's figure based on their income and then a deduction is given for insurance. It's would be almost $200 more if insurance wasn't provided. It's for 2 kids. I punched in the numbers on one of those feee child support calculators (not sure how reliable those are) but it came back with relatively the same figure... a difference of $30 a month. He has 2 kids, we live in Ohio and We/I carry the insurance on the kids.
You are taking over Dad's responsibilities to his children and himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">