• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Process in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michele0327

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have a two year old son. I have not been involved with my son's father since very early in my pregnancy and also have not spoken to him since then. I recently decided to file for child support.

I filled out an application for Child Support Services and submitted it to my local county office. I live in Orange county, where Orlando is located, and apparently the child support office here is very busy. I submitted my application on October 26. The office finally processed my application yesterday, 49 days after they got it. I was told that I will be sent a financial affidavit in the next couple of days and have until January 6 to return it. I plan to return the affidavit within a couple of days of receiving it so I can hopefully move this process along.

I'm concerned with the amount of time the case is going to take to get to court if I continue using the local child support office. After the financial affidavit is submitted, I don't want to wait around another 50 days while that paper sits somewhere, and then have to wait for the next form, etc.

Would it be a better idea to invest in a private attorney to handle my child support case? Does anyone know how many more steps are involved with the process through the child support office? Or how much faster it would be if I hired a private attorney?

Last edited:

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have a two year old son. I have not been involved with my son's father since very early in my pregnancy and also have not spoken to him since then. I recently decided to file for child support.

I filled out an application for Child Support Services and submitted it to my local county office. I live in Orange county, where Orlando is located, and apparently the child support office here is very busy. I submitted my application on October 26. The office finally processed my application yesterday, 49 days after they got it. I was told that I will be sent a financial affidavit in the next couple of days and have until January 6 to return it. I plan to return the affidavit within a couple of days of receiving it so I can hopefully move this process along.

I'm concerned with the amount of time the case is going to take to get to court if I continue using the local child support office. After the financial affidavit is submitted, I don't want to wait around another 50 days while that paper sits somewhere, and then have to wait for the next form, etc.

Would it be a better idea to invest in a private attorney to handle my child support case? Does anyone know how many more steps are involved with the process through the child support office? Or how much faster it would be if I hired a private attorney?
With the courts all over being extremely overbooked due to modification for lay-offs, etc, no it would not be faster to hire an attorney. Since the DOR will do everything that an attorney will do, it would be a waste of money for you to hire an attorney at this point.

It's going to take some time no matter what you do. Actually, for the DOR in Orange Co. to take only 50 days to process your application is a good sign. Orange Co is the second busiest CSE and court in the state.

All you can do is to give them all of your accurate info and wait. In the mean time, be sure to ask your caseworker to ask the court to order retro support back the allowed 2 years, or at least back to the date you filed your application.

Michele0327

Thanks for the fast response! The insight is appreciated.

I understand that the court system is slammed right now, however, my case is still a ways off from being filed, I believe. I don't have a case worker assigned to me as of yet. My thought process was that the private attorney would be able to get through the process leading up to the case filing much quicker. Unless a private attorney would have to deal with the DOR as well.

I finally got the information I need to submit to the DOR today. They sent me a financial affidavit to complete. However, the form says it's for individuals who make less than $50,000 a year, and I make more than that. That's the only form they included. The long form wasn't in my packet.

Guess I will get a long form off the internet and submit both. I would hate for the process to be delayed because I submitted the wrong form.

Gracie3787

I understand that the court system is slammed right now, however, my case is still a ways off from being filed, I believe. I don't have a case worker assigned to me as of yet. My thought process was that the private attorney would be able to get through the process leading up to the case filing much quicker. Unless a private attorney would have to deal with the DOR as well.

I finally got the information I need to submit to the DOR today. They sent me a financial affidavit to complete. However, the form says it's for individuals who make less than $50,000 a year, and I make more than that. That's the only form they included. The long form wasn't in my packet.

Guess I will get a long form off the internet and submit both. I would hate for the process to be delayed because I submitted the wrong form.
You can find the long form financial affidavit and other info at:
Florida State Courts

LdiJ

You do realize that filing for child support may very well awaken a "sleeping bear'?

A previously uninterested parent often files for visitation and custody, often even full or primary custody (however misguided) when they are hit up with child support, and sometimes that can be VERY expensive, legally.

I would advise reserving your ability to pay for an attorney for that. If you are making more than 50k you can afford delays in receiving child support. You may not be able to afford to delay in paying for an attorney to defend a custody suit.

Michele0327

Thank you for the responses.

I mailed the information requested back to the DOR, and I will see how everything progresses from here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">