• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

proper service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abstract99

What is the name of your state? Az

Belize brought up something in another post that I am confused about. What is the proper way to serve? Lately I have just been getting the court paperwork in the mail. It doesn't say on that paperwork that either of us have to attend but I would assume that if I ever didn't that they would post a ruling without me. Am I being properly served? I always get a copy in the mail from her lawyer and another copy from the court.

seniorjudge

abstract99 said:
What is the name of your state? Az

Belize brought up something in another post that I am confused about. What is the proper way to serve? Lately I have just been getting the court paperwork in the mail. It doesn't say on that paperwork that either of us have to attend but I would assume that if I ever didn't that they would post a ruling without me. Am I being properly served? I always get a copy in the mail from her lawyer and another copy from the court.
Service of process generally means that the lawsuit is started by serving you with a petition or complaint. Once you either enter your appearance (a document filed with the court saying okay, here I am) OR you answer the initial pleading, then you're in the case.

That stuff you are getting by mail is stuff pertaining to the case. It is not "served"; it is just sent to you.

Ignore it at your own peril. You have been sued and you are in a lawsuit.

Whyte Noise

A lot of states allow for service by mail.

Check AZ's Rules of Civil Procedure and see if they do. If so... you've been served properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">