• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protective Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Oregon
I am a step mother and my husband's former spouse is continuely having her lawyer submit letters requesting my personal finanical statements. I know that my income does not come into consideration when determining child support. However, I am a very private person when it comes to my income and I do not want her to know how much I make. I will say I make less then my husband. My husband's lawyer had mention filing a "Protective Order" to keep my income private. My question is has anyone of you had to file this before and if so how easy was it to get one to protect your income from being viewed by your spouse's former spouse? :confused:

ceara19

second wife said:
I am a step mother and my husband's former spouse is continuely having her lawyer submit letters requesting my personal finanical statements. I know that my income does not come into consideration when determining child support. However, I am a very private person when it comes to my income and I do not want her to know how much I make. I will say I make less then my husband. My husband's lawyer had mention filing a "Protective Order" to keep my income private. My question is has anyone of you had to file this before and if so how easy was it to get one to protect your income from being viewed by your spouse's former spouse? :confused:
Let the lawyer keep sending all the letters your husband's ex is willing to pay for. The only way you would actually have to SUBMIT your proof of income is if the letter is attached to a subpoena from the court, you aren't required to respond.

Gracie3787

second wife said:
Ceara's correct. As long as it is just letters requesting your info, you can ignore them.
If your husband is served with a subpoena for the info, all his attorney has to do is respond with an objection stating the legal reason for not providing the info (your income is not legally relevant). Then they have the choice of either accepting the objection, or they can file a motion to compel. If that motion is filed, there would be a hearing and the Judge would decide if you have to provide the info or not.

N

nicetryadmin

second wife said:
In addition to the other advice, I would also check your state's rules for (civil) procedure to see if your spouse can file a protective order, as allowed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">