• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pt 2 - Suppoert case- Am I liable for attorney fees ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carter2

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My X is suing me for child support. Filed papers the week I remarried. I take care of our only child(always have) most days as she works long hours with a long commute and I get off at 2:30 everyday. We make the same amount of $ though now with my new wife our household income has increased. Don't think that matters. I have agreed to the court "guideline"

The court case is on tuesday and I all ready got the day off to go. My X's boss/lawyer (she works in a law office) is asking for a continuance today because he needs more time. I do not have an attorney.

Any way my question is -What if I don't want to sign the continuance(stipulation?) paper she's faxing me and just want to go to court on tuesday ? My X says I will have to pay her attorney fees for showing up in court when I should have signed the stipulation. Is this true am I liable ?

My X has made my life miserable since we split up(after I caught her cheating on me with her best friends hubby) and I certainly don't want to make things any easier for her or her boss/attorney.

Sorry for the sorted details just want to give some perspective...

LdiJ

Carter2 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My X is suing me for child support. Filed papers the week I remarried. I take care of our only child(always have) most days as she works long hours with a long commute and I get off at 2:30 everyday. We make the same amount of $ though now with my new wife our household income has increased. Don't think that matters. I have agreed to the court "guideline"

The court case is on tuesday and I all ready got the day off to go. My X's boss/lawyer (she works in a law office) is asking for a continuance today because he needs more time. I do not have an attorney.

Any way my question is -What if I don't want to sign the continuance(stipulation?) paper she's faxing me and just want to go to court on tuesday ? My X says I will have to pay her attorney fees for showing up in court when I should have signed the stipulation. Is this true am I liable ?

My X has made my life miserable since we split up(after I caught her cheating on me with her best friends hubby) and I certainly don't want to make things any easier for her or her boss/attorney.

Sorry for the sorted details just want to give some perspective...
Yes, there is a chance that you could end up being responsible for her legal fees if you don't agree to the continuance. Why not agree? What legal advantage does it give you to disagree?

Carter2

As I said my X has made my life miserable for the last year(plus before) and I was planning to go to court on Tues. as I had the day off, it's right down the street. I was the told the judge would just plug the numbers in and we would be done, but I think she has other plans since she found out child support will only be $17 a month.

She has to drive a long ways to court with an attorney so... I just didnt want to make this any easier for her as it's been very bad for me.

Yes your right I guess I should just sign the continuance.

S

somedude

huh???

17 bucks a month??? Are you sure you're not missing a zero in there or something?

One's feelings don't play into anything. If she cheated on you, then hopefully you were able to cash in during your divorce proceedings. I noticed you said you have custody most of the time. If that is the case, that is a factor into support amount.

Be prepared...if she has an attorney, you can bet that the attorney will attempt to disect every single law on CS.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">