• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Assistance/Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tupu22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
First I'd like to start off by apologizing if this question has already been asked, but I am currently on public assistance. I started when I was 3 months pregnant and have been on since & as reckless and clueless as I was I didn't read all of the terms that came with being on welfare. My child was born a month ago, so my question is will the father of my child have to pay "child support" or pay back the gov't the money that I was receiving while pregnant? He was at school during my pregnancy but is now home with me and our child. I just needed the assistance while I was pregnant and will be closing my case ASAP.

justalayman

When asked for a list of residents of your home did you inform the welfare office your bf claims your residence as his but is temporarily away at school?

Have you informed them he has now come home to roost?

tupu22

When I was pregnant I didn't have a stable home, and I was using a PO BOX that they had given me so no, and I am going on Thursday to close my case and inform them that he is home now. I just wanted more knowledge on all of it before I closed it, and if he DOES have to pay back..what steps we have to take from there. I don't want him to have to pay any of it, so I was also wondering if I could just be the one to pay it back since I was the one who needed the assistance while pregnant. (If he has to)

justalayman

He could be held liable for a portion of the birth costs and payments to date. Whether they will enforce it is unknown.

OHRoadwarrior

I suggesy you consult a lawyer. We are not in the business of assisting to defraud the CA government so you have a cushy life with your boyfriend.

Silverplum

When I was pregnant I didn't have a stable home, and I was using a PO BOX that they had given me so no, and I am going on Thursday to close my case and inform them that he is home now. I just wanted more knowledge on all of it before I closed it, and if he DOES have to pay back..what steps we have to take from there. I don't want him to have to pay any of it, so I was also wondering if I could just be the one to pay it back since I was the one who needed the assistance while pregnant. (If he has to)
Always feel free to pay your bills. Always.

tupu22

Do you or anyone else know if I can pay it back on my own? I'm afraid they will mistaken my case as a fraud case because it isn't, I just needed the assistance while I was pregnant and I just don't want my child's father to have to pay back what only I received. I am very willing to work and pay back it all as I am responsible for it. I'm just hoping the workers at the welfare office will have an understanding of that. (Please no negative responses)

I'mTheFather

It sounds like you don't want your boyfriend to know you used public assistance. Is that the case?

If it isn't, go ahead and pay it for him. Just know that the case will still have his name on it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your neighbor could pay it, and the state won't care. The taxpayers just want their money back.

tupu22

Oh no, he knows. I just didn't want him to have to pay something that I was receiving but thank you!

justalayman

Oh no, he knows. I just didn't want him to have to pay something that I was receiving but thank you!
He won't be repaying something you recieved. He will be repaying what his child recieved. If you want to repay the money, have at it but if you can repay it, why were you on state assistance?

By being on public assistance, the state has essentially paid child support on dad's behalf. The state will want dad to pay them back. He is the one who will be ultimately responsible for the payments and will pursue him if payments aren't made. If you or someone else wants to pay it for him, go right ahead but he is the responsible party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">