• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purge Bond Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frstratdNcnfsed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I was recently in court with the NCP on a show cause for child support. NCP was brought to court by DCSE on two cases and both cases were discussed on the same docket. The other case has been closed for almost a year because the child turned 18 and it is arrears only. My case w/ NCP is current support plus arrears in excess of $24,000. At the end of the hearing the judge made a seperate ruling for each case. In regards to the arrears only case, he was found guilty and sentenced to 12 months in jail, suspended for 3years. In my case he also received same jail sentence however a purge bond was set for $2000. Amazingly, he paid it that same day and the money was sent to DCSE. I found out that the payment I will be receiving is only $1500. Evidently, DCSE decided to take a portion of the purge bond and credit it to NCP's other case. Can they legally do this? I asked my caseworker this and I'm waiting for her to get back to me. She says it depends on how the judge entered the order. I would love to get a copy of the order in writing but not sure how. I found a post on this site titled Purge Policies in NC and it explained that purge payments are not to be prorated if NCP has multiple obligations. If anyone has any experience or knowlege regarding this I would really appreciate your help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">