• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purge Contempt? AND pay extra !! Confused?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Momskidsfirst

What is the name of your state? Florida

Last week the courts found my x-husband in contempt and he must pay $15,000 to purge contempt by the end of May (which is the same total of the arrearage)- AND the order also states that he is to pay an additional $120.00 a month towards the child support arrearage. (plus the normal child support amount)

I am confused about the Purge amount - if he pays the $15,000.00 who get's it? Does the court or the state keep it for themselves? Or will they send it to the CP? I have been given different answers from DOR - and just want to know if they usually foward that on to the CP. And, if they do, why would they tack on an addtional $120 a month to pay the arrearage (which will take 10 years to pay back the arrearage - and has been proven already that He can pay it in full?

Thanks

Gracie3787

Momskidsfirst said:

Last week the courts found my x-husband in contempt and he must pay $15,000 to purge contempt by the end of May (which is the same total of the arrearage)- AND the order also states that he is to pay an additional $120.00 a month towards the child support arrearage. (plus the normal child support amount)

I am confused about the Purge amount - if he pays the $15,000.00 who get's it? Does the court or the state keep it for themselves? Or will they send it to the CP? I have been given different answers from DOR - and just want to know if they usually foward that on to the CP. And, if they do, why would they tack on an addtional $120 a month to pay the arrearage (which will take 10 years to pay back the arrearage - and has been proven already that He can pay it in full?

Thanks
Your post is a little confusing. You state that the total arrearage amount is $15,000, correct? If that is true and he was ordered to pay that amount by the 31st, I don't understand why he would be ordered to pay an extra $120.00 per month towards arrears. That just doesn't make sense.

If the total amount of arrears is the $15,000 it is possible that either you misunderstood what the court ordered, or there was a typo in the order. It's possible that the purge is actually $1,500 with an order to pay $120 a month on arrears. You need to check into this possibility mainly because it is highly unusual for a court to set a purge of the total arrears, and even when the court does, there cannot be any "extra" payments ordered simply because the arrears will no longer exist.

When he pays the purge you should recieve all of it, unless you have recieved public assistance. In that case the state will keep most of it and you will recieve a very small portion.

If he does pay the arrearage in full and then the DOR collects and sends you the extra $120 you should put it in the bank and not spend the $120 because you'll probably have to pay it back later. For now you should wait to see what happens and how much he does pay. You can go to www.myfloridacounty.com to look up the last five payments to see what amount of purge he pays.

seniorjudge

Momskidsfirst said:

Thanks

The person who is owed the support gets the dough.

Tinaa

My ex had to pay a purge. The court, in Texas, took over three months to send it to me. Just don't expect the money right away unless the courts in Florida are in much better shape than they are here!

abstract99

I agree with the one poster, 15k is a lot to assign. How long has this been going on? It is possible that this amount was assigned if you have been to court and this is like his 4th or 5th warrant. Otherwise, I would check with the courts. Or just let him check. Anyhow, with the dollar amount being so high, don't hold your breath because he probably won't pay it and will take the arrest in leiu of paying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">