• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Put it to rest!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

antkarclay

Put it to rest

My husband's daughter turned 18 in July. We live in the state of IL. His ex-wife is trying to continue child support for after high school expenses. Is he required to pay such a thing?

proud_parent

My husband's daughter turned 18 in July. We live in the state of IL. His ex-wife is trying to continue child support for after high school expenses. Is he required to pay such a thing?
That depends. Has his daughter completed high school? Does his order stipulate that support shall continue past age 18?

antkarclay

She graduated from high school in June. The order did not state any stipulation for child support to continue. Do you know the law in IL on this???

Humusluvr

She graduated from high school in June. The order did not state any stipulation for child support to continue. Do you know the law in IL on this???
Is she going for more support, a new child support case, or is she trying to get paid arrears? Because if dad was behind, he's still gonna be paying til he's caught up.

proud_parent

Do you know the law in IL on this???
750 ILCS 5/505 (from Ch. 40, par. 505)
Sec. 505. Child support; contempt; penalties.
(a) In a proceeding for dissolution of marriage, legal separation, declaration of invalidity of marriage, a proceeding for child support following dissolution of the marriage by a court which lacked personal jurisdiction over the absent spouse, a proceeding for modification of a previous order for child support under Section 510 of this Act, or any proceeding authorized under Section 501 or 601 of this Act, the court may order either or both parents owing a duty of support to a child of the marriage to pay an amount reasonable and necessary for his support, without regard to marital misconduct. The duty of support owed to a child includes the obligation to provide for the reasonable and necessary physical, mental and emotional health needs of the child. For purposes of this Section, the term "child" shall include any child under age 18 and any child under age 19 who is still attending high school.
750 ILCS 5/505

antkarclay

he is not behind, she is just really greedy. He has paid over $90,000 over the past 15 years and he is a truck driver. We are seriously ready to put this to rest for crying out loud.

Farfalla

he is not behind, she is just really greedy. He has paid over $90,000 over the past 15 years and he is a truck driver. We are seriously ready to put this to rest for crying out loud.
He was supporting his child for crying out loud. It's his obligation.

That's $500 a month for 15 years.... takes more than that a month to raise a child. His child's mother covered the rest of her expenses.

Last edited:

antkarclay

you obviously don't have any children or have very spoiled children if you think it takes more than $500 a month for one child. Seriously, not everyone lives on a lawyer's salary!

AHA

you obviously don't have any children or have very spoiled children if you think it takes more than $500 a month for one child. Seriously, not everyone lives on a lawyer's salary!
Well she's not your child and you CHOSE to get involved with a man with financial obligations, so pack up your stone cold heart and go away!

Farfalla

I'm not a lawyer. I'm an engineer.

I have three children. One is my son from my previous marriage and the other two are my husband’s children from his previous marriage. He had full custody of them. Their mother has never contributed one penny of child support as she is unable to work at a full time job. We also agreed to and paid for them to fly two/three times a year to visit their mother. And I never complained. Why? Because when I married him I knew what I was getting into and accepted the obligation. It was my choice. That is what parents do when they have children; they raise their children and don’t fuss about what it costs.

All of our children are now out of high school, two in college and one in the military.

And no they are not spoiled. Since an early age they had to work for and save up money to buy things like games, stereos, etc. Now that they are older, they have worked for and bought their own cars. They work and go to school. The one in the military is in the National Guard. He is full time at the National Guard goes college.

We still have a house full as we told them that they can live at home while in college. So the expense is not over.

It is estimated that it costs about $180,000 to raise a child in the middle class family. That’s in line with the child support your husband paid.

I know that if I averaged it out it was more than $500 a month… for one thing we could have had half the house without three children, their pets, their friends, etc. So half the utilities, more than half our grocery bill, most of our medical bills. Yep, kids are expensive.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">