• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

putting fathers name on birth certificate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thankyou

SC
I did not put fathers name on birth certificate since I
am unmarried. Now that paternity has been established
am I required to add the fathers name to the birth certificate?

ceara19

CJane said:
Wouldn't there need to be a court order to do so?
If paternity has been determained like the OP says, there should already be an order to add the father to the BC. I'm sure that it would be possible for the order to not address amending the BC, but I've never seen a paternity order where it wasn't addressed.

LdiJ

ceara19 said:
If paternity has been determained like the OP says, there should already be an order to add the father to the BC. I'm sure that it would be possible for the order to not address amending the BC, but I've never seen a paternity order where it wasn't addressed.
I agree, however it isn't mom's responsibility to get it added, its dad's.

AHA

thankyou said:
I guess nothing. Do I need to put his name on
certificate now that paternity has been established?
Thanks
If he has been proven to be the father, why shouldn't his name be on his child's bc??
How are you going to explain the lack of name to your kid when he/she sees the bc?

It is your choice if you'd like to add him or not (unless your court ordered as CJane had mentioned.).

Personally I wouldn't, due to the fact that you wouldn't want to have to follow up behind him for every little signature for certain matters such as getting a passport for the child or things that require immediate attn. I have done the same thing where paternity has been established, but he is not on the birth certificate. It makes my life a lot simpler.

ceara19

saintkbsmom67 said:
It is your choice if you'd like to add him or not (unless your court ordered as CJane had mentioned.).

Personally I wouldn't, due to the fact that you wouldn't want to have to follow up behind him for every little signature for certain matters such as getting a passport for the child or things that require immediate attn. I have done the same thing where paternity has been established, but he is not on the birth certificate. It makes my life a lot simpler.
My children's father (my ex-husband) is on their BC. I don't have to follow up with him for anything. I just make sure that I keep a copy of the court order that clearly states I alone am responsible for all decisions concerning the children. That's what makes my life simpler. The OP may not have any say in the matter. If dad requests his name be added to the BC and paternity has been legally established, there's not much she's gonna be able to do to stop it.

ceara19 said:
My children's father (my ex-husband) is on their BC. I don't have to follow up with him for anything. I just make sure that I keep a copy of the court order that clearly states I alone am responsible for all decisions concerning the children. That's what makes my life simpler. The OP may not have any say in the matter. If dad requests his name be added to the BC and paternity has been legally established, there's not much she's gonna be able to do to stop it.
Hence what I'd said "unless being court ordered"

MrsK

AHA said:
If he has been proven to be the father, why shouldn't his name be on his child's bc??
How are you going to explain the lack of name to your kid when he/she sees the bc?
I've always wondered what people tell their kids when there is no name for "father" on the bc. Something about seeing the word "Unknown" under "Father's Name" on a bc seems so....sad...to me.

thankyou

I didn't put "unkown" under the fathers name. It was just
left blank. I will tell her who her father is so it isn't going
to be any big deal.
Thank you for all the replies, they have been very helpful!

MrsK said:
I've always wondered what people tell their kids when there is no name for "father" on the bc. Something about seeing the word "Unknown" under "Father's Name" on a bc seems so....sad...to me.
Where did you get that it says unknown on the bc if there is no name?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">