• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stepmomIL

What is the name of your state? IL

Is it part of the child support- or custodial parent's obligation to provide the children with clothes when they come to stay with me for the weekend?

workinmom

Not sure about IL, but in Texas it depends on what is written in the order, mine is that ex provides clothes at his house when they visit him.

Workinmom

aussielee

should be

I have custody of my child, and when I send him for visits I send with him his clothes for the time he is staying with his father. I have him all year long and I know how fast kids grow. If I sent him to visit his father with nothing to wear, he would have to buy new clothes each time he came to visit. That is why he sends me child support each month, to help me buy the things my child needs such as clothes. So if you are the one paying the child support then the other parent should be buying that child clothes and sending them along for the visit.

I hope that helps you.

Neal1421

If there is nothing in the order about clothes, no the CP does not have to send clothes over.

Although it would be nice if all CP were like the poster above mine, they are not obligated to send anything with the children if the order does not address it.

stepmomIL said:

Is it part of the child support- or custodial parent's obligation to provide the children with clothes when they come to stay with me for the weekend?

Just a question, If CP/NCP sent kid over with nothing on then what would you do? Would you buy child some more clothes then, and return child naked?

Neal1421

outragedMOM said:
Just a question, If CP/NCP sent kid over with nothing on then what would you do? Would you buy child some more clothes then, and return child naked?
That was a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

stepmomIL

Gimme a break. Naked kids?!

No, when she sends nothing for the kids to wear we must go out and provide them with clothes- and then she expects us to send whatever we buy home with them--never to be seen again..and it starts over at the next visitation.

outragedMOM said:
No, you would buy them new clothes (for your house) and return them in what they came in, or just put them in a big t-shirt for the weekend. :eek:
Of course, it is up the NCP whether they wash them ot not :p

Now for me, I send the clothes for the stay (eventhough she see's dad almost everyday after school for a few hours) he has nothing at his mothers for her.

But when she spends the night on a weekend, I send the clothes, clean, neat and ready. They are returned dirty & sometimes ruined. Oh well! At least she is clothed in things that fit her properly, that is my only concern!

Oh, and I don't receive CS so he doesn't buy ANY clothing. ;)

Neal1421

stepmomIL said:

No, when she sends nothing for the kids to wear we must go out and provide them with clothes- and then she expects us to send whatever we buy home with them--never to be seen again..and it starts over at the next visitation.
Send them back in what they came in. If she's not sending anything over, you shouldn't have to either.

stepmomIL said:

I would buy them new clothes, keep them and return them in the clothes she sent them in... don't send back the clothes you bought.

stepmomIL said:

I guess that was my point, you having clothes at your home for the child. I would not send the clothes that you purchase for the child home with child. Mom can get mad all she wants if you don't send them home, after all she has all his clothes at her house from CS money.

I wasn't trying to be mean, and I'm sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intent!

mommyoftwo

I agree that it should be in the order. Its ordered in my husbands custody papers that we supply the clothing for his child when she comes. My husband's ex is a bit over the top when it comes to that... I send my daughter to her dad's with clothes for the entire stay and I believe there are much larger issues to bicker about than packing up some clothes. I completely understand how impossible it is to all of a sudden supply an entire wardrobe for a child (especially when you have children of your own). Its coming up on nice weather... you can do what I did and just hit garage sales and such to at least get some "play clothes".. its much easier than breaking the bank and buying everything brand new.

stepmomIL said:

I am from Illinois, When my son's go with their father I provide everything they need less food of course :) What type of jerk parent would send their child to another persons house (in this case their other parent) knowing that they will need more than the clothes on their backs, and neglect to send those items with them? Imagine what that poor kid feels like knowing that he or she doesn't have anything to wear the next day...It in my opinion, is a form of child abuse to put a child in a position where they feel as if they are a burden...That is like being the one who shows up to a party that they were told was a costume party and they are the only one dressed up....how humiliating! So in the short of it....YES the CP should provide clothes for the children!! It does not have to be in the order(at least as far as I know) I would think that it is expected! If you have an attorney I would have him send a letter stating that you expect appropriate clothing be provided for your weekend and if necessary ammend your visitation order to include proper attire... Sounds like your CP is a real piece of work!! Good Luck To You!!! Also, I would write down dates that you have gotten your child for the weekend or overnight and have not received appropriate clothing for that child...Also, if the CP does provide clothing be sure that it is returned at the end of each visit and vise versa

LdiJ

critterperson said:
I am from Illinois, When my son's go with their father I provide everything they need less food of course :) What type of jerk parent would send their child to another persons house (in this case their other parent) knowing that they will need more than the clothes on their backs, and neglect to send those items with them? Imagine what that poor kid feels like knowing that he or she doesn't have anything to wear the next day...It in my opinion, is a form of child abuse to put a child in a position where they feel as if they are a burden...That is like being the one who shows up to a party that they were told was a costume party and they are the only one dressed up....how humiliating! So in the short of it....YES the CP should provide clothes for the children!! It does not have to be in the order(at least as far as I know) I would think that it is expected! If you have an attorney I would have him send a letter stating that you expect appropriate clothing be provided for your weekend and if necessary ammend your visitation order to include proper attire... Sounds like your CP is a real piece of work!! Good Luck To You!!! Also, I would write down dates that you have gotten your child for the weekend or overnight and have not received appropriate clothing for that child...Also, if the CP does provide clothing be sure that it is returned at the end of each visit and vise versa
You know....I have a totally different, personal opinion (as was yours) on the subject. I believe that each parent should have clothing and "stuff" for their child at their home, and that only the child should be exchanged. I think it makes the child feel much more "at home" at each place if they have their own belongings there. I think that they feel much more like visitors when a bag is packed.

However...again...that is my PERSONAL opinion which has nothing to do with the law. The answer legally, depends on what either their court orders say, or their state guidelines say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">