• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shug0316

I'm in Texas I wanted to know if my child support order has been dropped how do I get them to stop garnishing my check. I was told I needed a lawyer... Can I do it myself

Silverplum

I'm in Texas I wanted to know if my child support order has been dropped how do I get them to stop garnishing my check. I was told I needed a lawyer... Can I do it myself
Sure, if you can follow rules and fill out forms and stuff. :)

In Harris County, for example:
http://www.dro.hctx.net/legal.aspx#ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_SectionViewer1_section186

"Termination of a Withholding Order
If a child has turned 18 and graduated from high school or a child has emancipated, this Office may provide services to terminate a wage withholding order for child support. An accounting will be completed to determine whether the child support obligation has been paid in full. If the child support account is satisfied, an attorney may prepare a letter to the parent's employer seeking termination of withholding. A fee of $100 is collected for this service."

Travis County, for another:
https://www.traviscountytx.gov/dro/support-payment
"You need to immediately contact the Domestic Relations Office, (512) 854-9696, to speak to your enforcement officer in order to provide your child’s emancipation information to him/her. Upon receipt of this information your enforcement officer will contact the payee, by telephone or mail, to verify that your child will be graduating from high school, has turned 18 years of age, etc. Since this process takes approximately 15 days please contact your enforcement officer AT LEAST 30 DAYS BEFORE your child’s graduation date or 18th birthday.

However, if your child support has not been paid in full (i.e. you are in arrears) your account will not be closed until such time as all child support arrears and statutory interest have been paid in full.

Once we have verified the information regarding your child AND you have no child support arrearages your Domestic Relations Office account will be closed. Also, if your child support is being withheld from your earnings the enforcement officer will contact your employer to stop further child support withholding."

You google up your county's Domestic Relations Office and find out about emancipation.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Also depends by what you mean that it was dropped. Did the other parent say "Oh, you don't have to pay anymore" or was it done through legal channels?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">