• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sway

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My ex-wife opened a claim on arrears and two days ago we were in court. She lied about the whole thing and with all my checks, money orders and cash receipts I was found to be current and didnt owe any arrears.

My question is, can she reopen it again, and if so can she just walk in like last time and say I owe her money and fill out paperwork?

This was alot of work looking for 16yrs worth of payments (that I will now lock up and keep safe) and Im just worried she can do this all again and make me waste time taking off work and driving 4hrs to the county I onced lived in.

Also, she didnt get in any trouble (that I know of anyways) how can someone just lie about something like this and it be ok?

Thank you for your time.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My ex-wife opened a claim on arrears and two days ago we were in court. She lied about the whole thing and with all my checks, money orders and cash receipts I was found to be current and didnt owe any arrears.

My question is, can she reopen it again, and if so can she just walk in like last time and say I owe her money and fill out paperwork?

This was alot of work looking for 16yrs worth of payments (that I will now lock up and keep safe) and Im just worried she can do this all again and make me waste time taking off work and driving 4hrs to the county I onced lived in.

Also, she didnt get in any trouble (that I know of anyways) how can someone just lie about something like this and it be ok?

Thank you for your time.
As Tink says, the easiest thing is to pay through CSE. However, if you continue to pay yourself, the same thing could happen. Ex could file a complaint, and you show your evidence and get it dismissed. You could ask the judge to sanction ex for filing false claims. You could also ask for ex to be ordered to pay your legal expenses. And you could ask that ex be required to put up a bond before filing any more complaints.

Most judges are fairly lenient on the first false claim. If it gets to be a habit, they eventually get upset.

Sway

Sorry, since she opened it DCSS started taking money from my checks each week.

I forgot to add that part.

Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">