• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about back support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sissyjane

What is the name of your state? WV

I'm asking this question for my brother. He had his ex (never married) have 2 girls together ages 6 & 7. This have not been together for almost 6 years. At first he was not going through child advocate to pay his support. He was giving her money and she was writing him receipts. child advocate says that he is about $5000 behind in his support. He has all of his receipts to prove that he had paid her. How can he go about getting the back support lifted?

If you need more information please let me know and I will do my best to answer your questions.

Thanks so much!

If he was ordered to pay support thru the advocate (I'm assuming you mean child support enforcement) and didn't then of course he's going to show arrears. The only way I'm aware of is to have the ex "forgive" the arrears but I'm not sure if they even allow that in WV. She will need to call and find out. And tell him to pay where he's supposed to and not rely on his ex's good graces to cover his butt.

Sissyjane

When he was giving her money and she was writing him receipts he was not going through child advocate at the time. Once he started going through them they said he was behind in his support because he wasn't using their services from the get go. I tried to tell him to go through child advocate from the start but he didn't think it was needed because she was giving him hand written receipts. Should he contact a lawyer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">