• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about backpay please help me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KATHYNEUMANN

CALIFORNIA,

Hi, I'm Kathy from California. I have two kids ages 11 and 17. My husband owes me $58,000.00 in back pay. He is currently paying $288 a month but some months I get $550.00.

I have 2 questions.

1) does my husband have to keep paying back the $58,000.00 even if my kids turn 18 and say he still owes $18,000 would he have to pay that or no?

2) Does child support for my 17 year old stop on his 18th birthday or 19th?

Thank You,
KATHY NEUMANN

Here is the link that I foind that can answer your questions.

http://www.childsup.cahwnet.gov/faq.asp

1. If any arrears are owed, CSE will still try and enforce the court order until the debt is paid in full plus interest.

2. According to the link, he will have to pay until your child/children are 18 years old. However, if they are unmarried and still attending high school after 18, it will continue until they are 19 years old.

Just check out the link and it will give you a lot of information that you may need.:)

AHA

KATHYNEUMANN said:
CALIFORNIA,

Hi, I'm Kathy from California. I have two kids ages 11 and 17. My husband owes me $58,000.00 in back pay. He is currently paying $288 a month but some months I get $550.00.

I have 2 questions.

1) does my husband have to keep paying back the $58,000.00 even if my kids turn 18 and say he still owes $18,000 would he have to pay that or no?

2) Does child support for my 17 year old stop on his 18th birthday or 19th?

Thank You,
KATHY NEUMANN
So, you're still married to him??

GrowUp!

arosado1970 said:
1. If any arrears are owed, CSE will still try and enforce the court order until the debt is paid in full plus interest.
Actually, when the child turns 18, CSE loses pretty much all interest enforcing it. The order remains in effect, but it's pretty much up to the parent to do the legal footwork. CSE can careless.

2. According to the link, he will have to pay until your child/children are 18 years old. However, if they are unmarried and still attending high school after 18, it will continue until they are 19 years old.
This is slightly confusing and misleading. Arreares will continued to be owed until they are paid off, regardless of the child...err, adult's age. Like I stated, collecting the arrears will be up to the parent to enforce...don't expect any help from CSE.

KATHYNEUMANN

Hi, no im divorced I just forget to say ex-husband, due to we were married so long
I just forget:D . So, my oldest son get support unitil 19? how can I establish that he is still in school? do I send in a letter from his school or just tell them?.

Thank You,
Kathy Neumann

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">