• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

In my divorce papers it states that my ex husband is to pay me on the 1st and 15th of every month my child support. It also says that when she has Dr. visits, whatever is not covered by insurance, we must split down the middle.

June of this year, he took our daughter to Missouri to visit his family for two weeks (which I agreed to even though the divorce papers said two non consecutive weeks in the summer for visitation because he's Active Duty military and is deploying next week) and when he returned, he told me he wasn't giving me child support because he had her that time period. Can he do that?

Also she had a dentist visit and she has to go back and there is $200 not covered by insurance that he won't help me pay. What can I do?

Could I possibly get the military involved or would I have to get a lawyer?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

In my divorce papers it states that my ex husband is to pay me on the 1st and 15th of every month my child support. It also says that when she has Dr. visits, whatever is not covered by insurance, we must split down the middle.

June of this year, he took our daughter to Missouri to visit his family for two weeks (which I agreed to even though the divorce papers said two non consecutive weeks in the summer for visitation because he's Active Duty military and is deploying next week) and when he returned, he told me he wasn't giving me child support because he had her that time period. Can he do that?

Also she had a dentist visit and she has to go back and there is $200 not covered by insurance that he won't help me pay. What can I do?

Could I possibly get the military involved or would I have to get a lawyer?
You could contact his C/O. C/O's are pretty good about exerting...pressure...to make sure that a parent pays their required child support.

You could contact his C/O. C/O's are pretty good about exerting...pressure...to make sure that a parent pays their required child support.
I will probably try that on Tuesday. Don't want to bother anyone on the holiday weekend. Only thing is he deploys in a week so hopefully I can get it taken care of.

Zigner

I will probably try that on Tuesday. Don't want to bother anyone on the holiday weekend. Only thing is he deploys in a week so hopefully I can get it taken care of.
I'm curious - how much money are we actually talking about here? If this is a one-time thing, and if it's a relatively small amount in total, you might want to think about letting it slide, particularly if dad is deploying. That's not "legal" advice - just practical advice.

ajkroy

I'm curious - how much money are we actually talking about here? If this is a one-time thing, and if it's a relatively small amount in total, you might want to think about letting it slide, particularly if dad is deploying. That's not "legal" advice - just practical advice.
I don't disagree...but if she does this, I would be sure to tell him that she is allowing it this one time only because he is deploying. Don't want to set a precedent and let him think she's okay with it.

Last edited:

Zigner

I don't disagree...but if she does this, I would be sure to tell him that she is doing is allowing it this one time only because he is deploying. Don't want to set a precedent and let him think she's okay with it.
...a good point.

...a good point.
to answer your question in total it is right at $300. And that's my point as well. I WAS going to let the child support slide which is why I didn't say anything now and THEN he pulled this with the dental stuff. He is the type of person that will take and take and take as long as you let him. It sucks because I don't want my daughter to suffer however I feel there is a point in time that I should stand up for myself and not be his doormat either. It's a hard situation and for lack of better words, in his eyes IF I call his first shirt (C/O) I'll be the money hungry B****

Zigner

to answer your question in total it is right at $300. And that's my point as well. I WAS going to let the child support slide which is why I didn't say anything now and THEN he pulled this with the dental stuff. He is the type of person that will take and take and take as long as you let him. It sucks because I don't want my daughter to suffer however I feel there is a point in time that I should stand up for myself and not be his doormat either. It's a hard situation and for lack of better words, in his eyes IF I call his first shirt (C/O) I'll be the money hungry B****
The child support shouldn't be hard to get through the C/O. The dental expenses may be another matter. (Just keep that in mind). Frankly, I'd still suggest that you wait, but, from a legal standpoint, he owes you even for the time he had the child with him - he doesn't get to put it "on hold" just because his daughter is visiting him, that's simply not how it works.

LdiJ

Posting history makes for an interesting read.
Yep, dad has been a pain in the rear about child support for quite some time now. Since he is deploying I really think its time to get the military to garnish his pay.

Zigner

Yep, dad has been a pain in the rear about child support for quite some time now. Since he is deploying I really think its time to get the military to garnish his pay.
I'm not sure that the military will "garnish" his pay - but they have other, sometimes more effective, methods. Failure to pay court-ordered support can subject the service member to court martial.

Proserpina

I'm not sure that the military will "garnish" his pay - but they have other, sometimes more effective, methods. Failure to pay court-ordered support can subject the service member to court martial.
They can deduct it directly from his pay. Please note I said "can", not "will".

Something tells me, however, that they're not going to view this OP as quite as much of the victim as others may.

LdiJ

They call it an allotment, and it can either be voluntary on the part of the soldier or court ordered. COs are really good at convincing their men to voluntarily set up the allotment when its for court ordered child support and they are not paying properly.

SESmama

If it comes down to him refusing to pay CS and you are unable to get relief from his CO, Georgia DCSS can issue an IWO and garnish his wages that way.

Start with his CO first

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">