• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about medical support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas
Our newest court order states under Additional Health Care Expenses that: "the mother" is responsible for health care expenses incurred monthly totaling up to an amount the equivalent of cash medical support ordered herein to be paid monthly by "the father". The court further orders "the mother" to pay 50% and "the father" to pay 50% of the health care expenses incurred monthly totaling in excess of the monthly cash medical support ordered herein.

That is exactly how it is worded in the order except for the names. I'm really not understanding what that means and why it is in the court order. Could someone explain this to me?

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
Our newest court order states under Additional Health Care Expenses that: "the mother" is responsible for health care expenses incurred monthly totaling up to an amount the equivalent of cash medical support ordered herein to be paid monthly by "the father". The court further orders "the mother" to pay 50% and "the father" to pay 50% of the health care expenses incurred monthly totaling in excess of the monthly cash medical support ordered herein.

That is exactly how it is worded in the order except for the names. I'm really not understanding what that means and why it is in the court order. Could someone explain this to me?
The father (NCP) should be paying a set amount each month to go towards medical care (which is unusual in Texas unless mom is paying for the insurance and the payment is reimbursement for the premiums or the child has a condition that requires regular ongoing treatment). For example if dad pays $100/mo in medical support and the total medical bills for the month come to $150, dad would have to pay an ADDITIONAL $25 when he receives the bill.

ceara19 said:
The father (NCP) should be paying a set amount each month to go towards medical care (which is unusual in Texas unless mom is paying for the insurance and the payment is reimbursement for the premiums or the child has a condition that requires regular ongoing treatment). For example if dad pays $100/mo in medical support and the total medical bills for the month come to $150, dad would have to pay an ADDITIONAL $25 when he receives the bill.
Dad has child covered with insurance and pays the premiums every month. Why is that even in the court order? Does that mean that since he pays the premiums she takes care of any amount up to the amount of the premium he pays monthly? I'm confused...

LdiJ

usedstepmom said:
Dad has child covered with insurance and pays the premiums every month. Why is that even in the court order? Does that mean that since he pays the premiums she takes care of any amount up to the amount of the premium he pays monthly? I'm confused...
That may perhaps be what it means. However, it might be best to get a clarification from the attorney.

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
In the CO, where it states

"the mother" is responsible for health care expenses incurred monthly totaling up to an amount the equivalent of cash medical support ordered herein to be paid monthly by "the father".

is there an actual dollar amount named? The standard in Texas is for the NCP to pay for the insurance and all other medical costs are split 50/50. If there is no dollar amount ordered, it really doesn't mean anything other then dad pays the insurance and all out of pocket is split 50/50.

What type of custody/visitation does he have?

ceara19 said:
In the CO, where it states

"the mother" is responsible for health care expenses incurred monthly totaling up to an amount the equivalent of cash medical support ordered herein to be paid monthly by "the father".

is there an actual dollar amount named? The standard in Texas is for the NCP to pay for the insurance and all other medical costs are split 50/50. If there is no dollar amount ordered, it really doesn't mean anything other then dad pays the insurance and all out of pocket is split 50/50.

What type of custody/visitation does he have?

He is the possessory conservator, with standard visitation, though he hardly ever gets visitation because we live 11 hours away, she's a teenager and busy, and my husband works most weekends. Why is it even in the court order if it doesn't mean anything?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">