• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about tax return being withheld...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theothersarah

What is the name of your state? GA

I recently got notice that CSR took hold of xh's tax return for 2005 due to cs arrears that he owes me. I filed the info with CSR just before we went to court and showed he was behind over $20K. I was awarded $5000 right then and since then, they have been paying pretty regular-the original amount of cs with an additional $200 monthly until the arrears are caught up.
I was told by CSR it would be at least 6 months before I was sent the money and they grabbed it in November.
So, my question is- when the money comes (about $4500), can xh say that it goes to several months of cs payments, so they don't have to pay for a while? I thought it would just go to arrears owed, but the new wife said something that made me think they want to use it for "getting ahead" on payments... There was nothing said about it when we went to court.. and this is the first time CSR has held their return, so I don't know what to tell them. TIA for the advice!

NotSoNew

ah no any money withheld from taxes is for arrears only, if he stops paying for several months his arrears will only build right back up!

B

betterthanher

theothersarah said:
So, my question is- when the money comes (about $4500), can xh say that it goes to several months of cs payments, so they don't have to pay for a while? I thought it would just go to arrears owed, but the new wife said something that made me think they want to use it for "getting ahead" on payments... There was nothing said about it when we went to court.. and this is the first time CSR has held their return, so I don't know what to tell them. TIA for the advice!
Nope. It will be applied to his arrearage. There isn't an option on how they'd like it be to applied. Tell her that if he wasn't 20k in arrears, his refund wouldn't have been attached.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">