• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? TX

Ok, I have another question on behalf on my sister. It is kind of a confusing situation, but I will try to make it simple. My brother-in-law was just proven to be the father on a 17 year old boy. This 17 year old is currently not in school. His attorney told him that the kid is not enrolled in high school that my brother-in-law does not have to pay.....is that right? It doesn't seem to be.....
Another question on that, my brother-in-law is also the sole support of my sister's son. Will that affect the amount of child support when the refigure it in Spetember?
Also I just need something verified, in texas the max they can take out of a paycheck is 50% of the aggregate disposable income. right? In that regard, my sister and brother-in-law are also paying for CH.13 (which is automatically garnished from his check), will that have any bearing on the child support?
Sorry for all the questions, my sister is just overwhelmed right now....Thanks in advance...

ceara19

You brother in law needs a new lawyer. Child support doesn't end in Texas until the child is 18 or has graduated from HS or turns 19 while the child is still in HS, whichever comes LAST.

I'm a little confused though. Is your BIL still married to you sister? Is he paying her child support for a child they had together? Is he paying cs to someone else FOR that his wife is ordered to pay?

ceara19 said:
You brother in law needs a new lawyer. Child support doesn't end in Texas until the child is 18 or has graduated from HS or turns 19 while the child is still in HS, whichever comes LAST.

I'm a little confused though. Is your BIL still married to you sister? Is he paying her child support for a child they had together? Is he paying cs to someone else FOR that his wife is ordered to pay?
I thought that did not sound right.
In answer to your questions, yes, my BIL is still married to my sister. The child in question is one from a previous relationship my BIL had 20 years ago.
The other question in reference to children was that my sister has a son (not biologically BIL's) and my BIL is this child's only mean of support. Would the support be able to be lowered based on that? I read somewhere, i thought, that if the NCP is supporting a second family it could? I am not sure, like I said, please advise! :confused:

Seek Jerry Springer...He is an excellent resource for people in your family's situation!:rolleyes:

I know you don't expect us to "fish up" and consider your previous posts...in order to make sense of this one.

EDIT: you might want to give a link to the previous post about your "sister".

Last edited:
StickyFingers said:
Seek Jerry Springer...He is an excellent resource for people in your family's situation!:rolleyes:

I know you don't expect us to "fish up" and consider your previous posts...in order to make sense of this one.

EDIT: you might want to give a link to the previous post about your "sister".
I am well aware that my family's situation is worthy of many talk shows, but that is not what I asked.

I do not know what you consider confusing, why don't you just come out and ask it?!

The previous post I put up about my sister, and she is my sister, was concerning HER other child with her ex-husband, what does that have to do with this?

txrose1998 said:
I am well aware that my family's situation is worthy of many talk shows, but that is not what I asked.

I do not know what you consider confusing, why don't you just come out and ask it?!

The previous post I put up about my sister, and she is my sister, was concerning HER other child with her ex-husband, what does that have to do with this?
OH give me a break...

OK....Your first statement in this post was...

Ok, I have another question on behalf on my sister.
How about give a link to the OTHER post dealing with your sister so we don't have to go hunting?

OR are you that anal that you think we remember you after we deal with hundreds of posts per day?:rolleyes:

ceara19

txrose1998 said:
I thought that did not sound right.
In answer to your questions, yes, my BIL is still married to my sister. The child in question is one from a previous relationship my BIL had 20 years ago.
The other question in reference to children was that my sister has a son (not biologically BIL's) and my BIL is this child's only mean of support. Would the support be able to be lowered based on that? I read somewhere, i thought, that if the NCP is supporting a second family it could? I am not sure, like I said, please advise! :confused:
Some states will take the NCP's second family into consideration when setting child support, but your BIL is not LEGALLY obligated to support a child that is not his so it won't apply.

StickyFingers said:
OH give me a break...

OK....Your first statement in this post was...

How about give a link to the OTHER post dealing with your sister so we don't have to go hunting?

OR are you that anal that you think we remember you after we deal with hundreds of posts per day?:rolleyes:
Yes, that was my first statement, but that does not mean that it had to do with my previous question. It means another question for my sister. I just put that there so people know all the facts up front. Now, do you have any answers or not?

txrose1998 said:
Yes, that was my first statement, but that does not mean that it had to do with my previous question. It means another question for my sister. I just put that there so people know all the facts up front. Now, do you have any answers or not?
OMG...are you this dense?

The post that you were refering to...you know....The OTHER post about your sis...how about give a link...so we don't have to go hunting?

AHA

txrose1998 said:
my sister has a son (not biologically BIL's) and my BIL is this child's only mean of support.
WHY?

That's just wrong, tell sis to go out and get a job and then file for cs from the guy who IS her kid's dad.

Why should BIL's biokid suffer because his dad is paying the bills for a kid that isn't even his, come on now?

AHA said:
WHY?

That's just wrong, tell sis to go out and get a job and then file for cs from the guy who IS her kid's dad.

Why should BIL's biokid suffer because his dad is paying the bills for a kid that isn't even his, come on now?
Totally a side issue IMO....

Still waiting for that link..... txrose1998.....

AHA

StickyFingers said:
Totally a side issue IMO....
Why is that?
OP claims that daddy can't afford cs to HIS kid because he's supporting someone else's kid.
The mom of the kid he is supporting is not herself supporting HER kid.

CandiceH

If the BIL was just proven to be the father of the 17 yr old boy, how far does Texas go back for support? If there will be no back support why worry about paying for a year of support? I am also curious why the mom waited so many years to do a paternity test (if that is how the BIL was proven to be the father)? I would figure these would be some questions that the OP would want answered also. Since the child is nearly 18 it seems kind of petty to be worrying so much on financials IMO.

ceara19

CandiceH said:
If the BIL was just proven to be the father of the 17 yr old boy, how far does Texas go back for support? If there will be no back support why worry about paying for a year of support? I am also curious why the mom waited so many years to do a paternity test (if that is how the BIL was proven to be the father)? I would figure these would be some questions that the OP would want answered also. Since the child is nearly 18 it seems kind of petty to be worrying so much on financials IMO.
If there has never been a previous order, Texas will go back a maximum of 5 years. But that is usually reserved for cases where the CP can PROVE that the NCP took specific actions to avoid establishing paternity and having a child support order issued. Normally, it only goes back to the date of filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">