• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on paternity testing / birth certificate ramifications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allenr25fremuzo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

*I thought I posted this question / thread about an hour ago, but I can't find it anywhere, so I apologize if this is actually a double post.

Situation: My ex-girlfriend (we're not together) had a baby girl last week and insists that it's mine. DHS left me a message the following day saying they now have custody of the kid. When I called them back, they explained to me why they took the kid from her (e.g. drugs / withdrawal) and that they were seeing if I wanted the child (rather than foster care) since my name was put on the birth certificate (which I thought is unlawful, since I was never there). I've decided I do want the kid, but only if a paternity test shows it's mine and that's exactly what I told them. They replied that they'll arrange it, and yesterday they left a VM saying that it has been ordered and to contact them back for further info.

What are the consequences of being put on the birth certificate (without my knowledge) on a child I'm not even sure is mine? How does the paternity testing via DHS work? Is it better to get a court-ordered one instead? Should I have never even contacted the DHS rep back without first getting legal advice? Should I simply contact them back at this point to arrange the test? What's the correct next move to make for my desired goal (i.e. take the kid if mine and if not mine, absolve myself of the situation entirely)? I need to ensure I make no misstep (if not already) so I'm not on the hook for a child that potentially isn't mine.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">