• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding child abandonment case...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liveyourfuture

I was wondering how one is charged with Child Abandonment? My father has been charged with Child Abandonment and will be serving a week in San Luis Obispo County Jail. I am not really sure how this all works. My father moved to Costa Rica about 12 years ago. I am 24 now. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Antigone*

I was wondering how one is charged with Child Abandonment? My father has been charged with Child Abandonment and will be serving a week in San Luis Obispo County Jail. I am not really sure how this all works. My father moved to Costa Rica about 12 years ago. I am 24 now. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Are you asking for the process or why?

He did leave you when you were 12. While I can understand him wanting to go to La capital del mundo;) he did leave you. Did he support you while he was gone?

btw... Ligista hasta la muerte;)

liveyourfuture

Question regarding child abandonment case....

I am asking how is it filed? Does the state automatically file the case of does the second parent file the case? They have been divorced since I was 4.

Antigone*

I am asking how is it filed? Does the state automatically file the case of does the second parent file the case? They have been divorced since I was 4.
The other parent normally would file the complaint. Do you know what statute he is charged with violating?

Last edited:

Proserpina

Child abandonment or endangerment is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding two thousand dollars ($2000), or by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding one year, or by both a fine and imprisonment together.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/CA-abandonment

Antigone*

PC166A ~ Contempt ~ punishable by imprisonment in
a county jail for not more than one year, by a fine of five thousand
dollars ($5,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.
`

PC 270 & 271A ~ Abandonment ~ punishable by imprisonment
in the state prison, or in the county jail not exceeding one year,
or by fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both.

liveyourfuture

If my dad was charged with 166(A), 270, and 271A...is there anything that I can do to explain that he didn't abandon me or my brother and sisters? He left the county in about 1998 but it was not to abandon us...

liveyourfuture

He is in California...the court is in San Luis Obispo and will be serving time on Sunday...for about a week I think...but I am not sure what will happen after that.

Antigone*

He is in California...the court is in San Luis Obispo and will be serving time on Sunday...for about a week I think...but I am not sure what will happen after that.
So he's already been found guilty, if he's going to begin serving his sentence. If your father did not already fight the charges and has been found guilty, then nothing you can do.

Just wondering. This man left you and your siblings 11 years ago, did he help your mother support all of you while he was in paradise?

liveyourfuture

Yes, but abandonment means not having any contact whatsoever with your children for up to a year. He would send money sometimes. He paid for our plane tickets and for our food, clothing, and shelter while we were there with him...he is serving a week for something else right now though...as of today we don't know what will happen to him after the week is over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">