• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedAdvice2321

What is the name of your state? Florida

Good evening, I just recently found out that I am the father of a 2 yr old boy The paternity test was originally ordered by Child Support. Since i had no awareness prior to i was the father, the mother has had the case closed to ensure Child Support is not enforced on me. We reconciled to allow me the opportunity to be a father to the child. However i was told that I would have to pay back any state help the mother has recieved in order to have the case closed. Is there a max or limit that the state can backbill me for any state assistance the mother has recieved? She had been recieving help since before the child was born from Medi Cade (excuse the spelling) and other state help that even provided the babys milk as well as took care of daycare expenses. Is there anything i can do to plea my case to the state to advise of how i prior to had no awareness i was the father? Or would a lawyer be recommended? I am concerned that i may be charge possibly thousands i dollars in which i do not have immediately to pay back. Please help in advising should be done...The paper work was filed as of last week to request tp have the case closed by the mother in which we are no waiting further response from the Child Support offices. Thank You

seniorjudge

NeedAdvice2321 said:

Good evening, I just recently found out that I am the father of a 2 yr old boy The paternity test was originally ordered by Child Support. Since i had no awareness prior to i was the father, the mother has had the case closed to ensure Child Support is not enforced on me. We reconciled to allow me the opportunity to be a father to the child. However i was told that I would have to pay back any state help the mother has recieved in order to have the case closed. Is there a max or limit that the state can backbill me for any state assistance the mother has recieved? She had been recieving help since before the child was born from Medi Cade (excuse the spelling) and other state help that even provided the babys milk as well as took care of daycare expenses. Is there anything i can do to plea my case to the state to advise of how i prior to had no awareness i was the father? Or would a lawyer be recommended? I am concerned that i may be charge possibly thousands i dollars in which i do not have immediately to pay back. Please help in advising should be done...The paper work was filed as of last week to request tp have the case closed by the mother in which we are no waiting further response from the Child Support offices. Thank You

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=299351

Keep all your questions in your original thread.

BATES

NeedAdvice2321 said:

9 times out of 10 you will have to pay the state back. You won't have to pay it all up front, but you will have to pay it. The mother can close the case, but the state still needs and wants there money back for caring for your child. I suggest letting the case stay open so that you can have legal child support being paid and it won't come back and bite you in the butt later when "mom" decides she wants your money. Keep things legal, it's easier that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">