• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question from Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas
CS was just raised in March (some probably remember from previous posts--increased by $100) Now Mom is having the daughter call her dad and ask if he will cover her on our vehicle insurance. The kid just turned 17. I would like to know some opinions on what might be done in this situation. The mom will not call. She puts her daughter up to it. Is it my husband's responsibility to cover her? We already have her on medical and dental. First of all, I feel it is WRONG for her to put her daughter in this position. She has called several times now telling my husband her mom is going to drop her from her insurance so we need to cover her! Any suggestions? Thank you....

seniorjudge

usedstepmom said:
CS was just raised in March (some probably remember from previous posts--increased by $100) Now Mom is having the daughter call her dad and ask if he will cover her on our vehicle insurance. The kid just turned 17. I would like to know some opinions on what might be done in this situation. The mom will not call. She puts her daughter up to it. Is it my husband's responsibility to cover her? We already have her on medical and dental. First of all, I feel it is WRONG for her to put her daughter in this position. She has called several times now telling my husband her mom is going to drop her from her insurance so we need to cover her! Any suggestions? Thank you....

You have started twenty-one (21) other threads on the subject of child support. Post your questions in one of those other threads.

you do not have to provide car insurance nor do you have to provide a car. it's up to you and your husband if you put her on... i wouldn't if i were you.

weenor

If insurance is not in the court order, he doesn't have to pay.

BTW..I would recommend that insurance always be provided by the parent that has the most control over the child's day to day activities. Why subject yourselves to a possible negligent entrustment lawsuit when she hits someone, without the power to make sure she's driving appropriately?

weenor said:
If insurance is not in the court order, he doesn't have to pay.

BTW..I would recommend that insurance always be provided by the parent that has the most control over the child's day to day activities. Why subject yourselves to a possible negligent entrustment lawsuit when she hits someone, without the power to make sure she's driving appropriately?
Exactly. Besides, if MOM isn't going to have the courage to ask you guys herself, why should you pay?

If it's not in the Order, don't do it. My wife and I have wondered if we were going to get hit up for insurance when my oldest turns 16. I'll be dam*ed if I'm going to get stuck paying insurance for a 16 year old driving a car under her mom's supervision and freedom (think NO supervison).

CBK

Job

My parents never divorced and did not provide me with vehicle insurance, either. This girl needs to realize this is not a NECESSITY, i.e. something that she can't live without. If she still fills that it is pertinent for her to have insurance, welcome her to the world of an after school job.

ceara19

NCP Dad in TN said:
Exactly. Besides, if MOM isn't going to have the courage to ask you guys herself, why should you pay?

If it's not in the Order, don't do it. My wife and I have wondered if we were going to get hit up for insurance when my oldest turns 16. I'll be dam*ed if I'm going to get stuck paying insurance for a 16 year old driving a car under her mom's supervision and freedom (think NO supervison).
There is no indication that mom is actually making the child ask dad. Mom may have simply told the girl that she was not going to continue paying the insurance. That is not the same as telling her that she needs to have dad pay for it. Mom could have told her exactly what BB has suggested to the OP. Get a job. Maybe the daughter decided that it would be easier for her to just ask daddy for the money instead of getting a job.

If the kid has no insurance and causes an accident, you can bet the other party will be going after the parent with the deepest pockets.

usedstepmom said:
Now Mom is having the daughter call her dad and ask if he will cover her on our vehicle insurance. The mom will not call. She puts her daughter up to it.
To me, this sounds like she IS putting the daughter up to it. We can only go by what OP says since the bio mom isn't here to give her side.

usedstepmom said:
Mom is having the daughter call her dad and ask if he will cover her on our vehicle insurance. The kid just turned 17. I would like to know some opinions on what might be done in this situation.
You're living in TX, right? Tell her to trade the car in on a HORSE. No insurance required. Doesn't every little girl want a pony, anyhow? ;)

My Dad had me on a pay-as-you-go program -- You don't pay, you dont "go". Good luck.

ceara19

NCP Dad in TN said:
To me, this sounds like she IS putting the daughter up to it. We can only go by what OP says since the bio mom isn't here to give her side.
The STEP MOTHER is claiming that mom has put the girl up to it. Even if the girl is claiming that MOM is putting her up to it, it is not necessarily true. If she was told to pay for her own insurance, do you really think that she is going to call daddy and say, "Mom thinks I should have to get a JOB and pay for my insurance! Can you believe that?"

This little girl seems to have a talent for being able to play both of her parents against each other.

LdiJ

Inquiry123 said:
You're living in TX, right? Tell her to trade the car in on a HORSE. No insurance required. Doesn't every little girl want a pony, anyhow? ;)

My Dad had me on a pay-as-you-go program -- You don't pay, you dont "go". Good luck.
I was so spoiled in that area.....my dad had an insurance agency and I never had to be concerned about insurance....or gas either for that matter, dad gave each of us a gas credit card as soon as we got our license. Of course, gas was dirt cheap back then so dad was just being prudent in making sure that we always had the means to get where we needed to be....plus the means for emergency car repairs...back then most service stations also provided "service".

I had to share my mom's car....and didn't get my first one until I was a senior in college (which was provided by mom and dad....I got mom's car...on its very last legs...when mom got a new one, new as in used, mom always drove a used car when we were kids)....each of my three siblings got a car much earlier....again, usually inherited from mom but financially things started hopping for my parents then, so mom's cars were progressively newer....therefore my siblings cars progressively newer.

My first summer home from college I had two jobs....my day job was downtown at an insurance company and I had to take the bus....40 minutes each way. Then I had to walk 2 miles from the bus stop to my night job at a pizza place unless someone was home to give me a ride.....but someone was ALWAYS available to pick me up at the end of the shift....mom and dad made sure of that. On the rare occasions when things went wrong, the delivery guys gave me a ride home.

That summer was HELL....my best friend never could understand why I didn't want to do anything on my few nights off....I just wanted to sleep....but that summer paid for my tuition and spending money for the whole next year of college.

ceara19 said:
The STEP MOTHER is claiming that mom has put the girl up to it. Even if the girl is claiming that MOM is putting her up to it, it is not necessarily true. If she was told to pay for her own insurance, do you really think that she is going to call daddy and say, "Mom thinks I should have to get a JOB and pay for my insurance! Can you believe that?"

This little girl seems to have a talent for being able to play both of her parents against each other.
Oh, believe me, she is putting her up to it. My husband can always hear her in the background. I have no doubt in my mind. We are dealing with an irrational person. I have done it for 17 years. I should know by now.:eek:

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
Oh, believe me, she is putting her up to it. My husband can always hear her in the background. I have no doubt in my mind. We are dealing with an irrational person. I have done it for 17 years. I should know by now.:eek:
Even if mom is putting her up to it, the girl is 17 years old. Why is mom any more resposible for paying for her car insurance then dad? Take BB's advice, tell the girl to get a JOB.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">