• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

axl4u2000

What is the name of your state? California

Hi there,

I am legally married and I just found out I'm being sued for child support from a past realtionship. They kids were taken away from the mother and now the state wants me to pay for the foster care. I have taken the necessary steps to stablish patternity but I want to know if my wife's income will be considered on calculate child support payments as well the fact that I have another child with my wife?
Also, if the kids are ever returned to her, can I modify the child support order and go into a legal agreement? or perhaps request full custody?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:

Zephyr

axl4u2000 said:

Hi there,

I am legally married and I just found out I'm being sued for child support from a past realtionship. They kids were taken away from the mother and now the state wants me to pay for the foster care. I have taken the necessary steps to stablish patternity but I want to know if my wife's income will be considered on calculate child support payments as well the fact that I have another child with my wife?
Also, if the kids are ever returned to her, can I modify the child support order and go into a legal agreement? or perhaps request full custody?

your wife's income will not be taken into account- I find it odd that your first concern in the situation is the money- THEN custody

axl4u2000

Dont think the wifey will like to help raise a child thet is not hers but we will have to talk. My ex has 3 kids all with different fathers, myself included. They were taken away because her new husband beat the S*** out of them so child services removed them from their care. he is facing charges for this and out on bail.
Will this help on getting my son's full custody?

nextwife

axl4u2000 said:
Dont think the wifey will like to help raise a child thet is not hers but we will have to talk.
Dearie- this is not only YOUR child, but this is the sibling of HER kids. Someday you parents will be gone - but your kids would still have theire siblings. I know, my parents are gone now, and my siblings are very important to me.

axl4u2000 said:

Hi there,

Prior to this were you paying child support ?

Did you have visitation with the child?

Does the child know that you are his father or do you even know that this child is yours?

ceara19

axl4u2000 said:
Dont think the wifey will like to help raise a child thet is not hers but we will have to talk. My ex has 3 kids all with different fathers, myself included. They were taken away because her new husband beat the S*** out of them so child services removed them from their care. he is facing charges for this and out on bail.
Will this help on getting my son's full custody?
If your wife would rather allow her husband's child to stay in the foster care system or even worse, allow the child to go back to mom and get the sh*t beat out of him, instead of allowing you to care for YOUR child, do you REALLY want to be married to her?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ceara OP seems bound and determined to have an excuse not to have this child in his life and wifey seems to be the reason. Why anyone would marry someone who would not be accepting of them and their life is beyond me. The question I think CPS would ask is "Do we really want to place a child in a home where the child is not wanted by the dad's new spouse?" No. So child support is a definite in this man's future. And if I were him, I would nto count on working out an agreement to pay mom or even go for custody. At least not until he and his selfish wife grow up quite a bit.

axl4u2000

I totally agree with you all. Put it this way, until now, i did not know about htis child. me and the mother broke up and i didnt know she was pregnant. let me tell you, the kid's mother is a character also... she tried to kill herself while together, she is on medication plus used drugs I believe while pregnant that's when i heard about that the kids were taken away from her, i wasnt suprised. One of the reason's why we broke up was because I found out she was on walfare and she was receiving help from me and she was collecting a check from the state plus help from me but she never reported it. Then I went ahead and told on her to the state (trying to do the right thing) and i guess running from the law, she moved out.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
axl4u2000 said:
I totally agree with you all. Put it this way, until now, i did not know about htis child. me and the mother broke up and i didnt know she was pregnant. let me tell you, the kid's mother is a character also... she tried to kill herself while together, she is on medication plus used drugs I believe while pregnant that's when i heard about that the kids were taken away from her, i wasnt suprised. One of the reason's why we broke up was because I found out she was on walfare and she was receiving help from me and she was collecting a check from the state plus help from me but she never reported it. Then I went ahead and told on her to the state (trying to do the right thing) and i guess running from the law, she moved out.
Based on EVERYTHING you said -- the child may be better off left in foster care. You do not seem as though you really want the child. And this child doesn't just need a house or food -- the child needs someone who is going to support him/her and if you and your wife can't do that, leave the child in foster care. But be an adult and pay child support if the child is legally adjudicated as yours because you CHOSE to sleep with baby's mother and this poor kid shouldn't have to pay for both you and the mother's mistakes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">