• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about Child Support Modification...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaddyD

What is the name of your state? CA

I have an upcoming court hearing to have the very high amount of child support that I pay mod. because I am making $40,000 less than when we divorced. Last year, I lost my job for about three months and then found another, it happened to have a smaller pay scale than the previous one. The other point here is I am paying a little over $3,000, when the state guideline here is $1400. I am wondering what I may do to prove this was not something done to try and skip out, but I needed to get a job and it was still a good one. Any feedback would be great...

karma1

Not sure what you are asking?

You filed for a downward mod and well, it's up to a judge to decide if that will happen.
Just some things to consider in CA, if you don't already know...
BOTH parents are responsible for support--it is a shared income state.
Parenting time percentages are used for support calculations.
Other things can be taken into consideration like insurance costs, hardships for other children, transportation costs...etc.....

Each case is different and has its own merits to consider.

VeronicaGia

DaddyD said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I have an upcoming court hearing to have the very high amount of child support that I pay mod. because I am making $40,000 less than when we divorced. Last year, I lost my job for about three months and then found another, it happened to have a smaller pay scale than the previous one. The other point here is I am paying a little over $3,000, when the state guideline here is $1400. I am wondering what I may do to prove this was not something done to try and skip out, but I needed to get a job and it was still a good one. Any feedback would be great...
Can you prove you lost your job thru no fault of your own? If you were fired or quit, the court will consider it voluntary unemployment and can impute income to you based on what you were making when you were making more money.

Even if you can prove it wasn't your fault, the court can impute income to you. Sad, but true. All you can do is hope the judge is reasonable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">