• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re: Increase in Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

movingonil

Re: Increase in Child Support

What is the name of your state? IL

Does anyone know why my message was closed? I was hoping to receive more information???

CJane

It was closed because you got your answer. Your income/standard of living is irrelevant in Illinois as they only assess child support based on # of kids and the NCP's income.

Whether or not you'll get an increase based on his new salary isn't really something we can answer for you. What I CAN tell you is that taking advice about child support from the person who's supposed to be paying it isn't the brightest move.

aud

I am recently remarried and planning on having another child. My ex doesn't know but I plan on not working once I have another child. My question is I want to go back for more child support because I know he makes 10K more now then when we divorced. Since my current spouse makes a fairly decent income, I can afford to stay home when we have a baby. I am worried that if I do not go for the increase now, i may not get it due to my new spouses income. Please let me know if anyone has any advice.
Ok what your basically saying here is that you want another kid with new bf, want to stay home with new kid, and want EX to help pay for it? Am I getting that right. And I suppose that if the ex wanted more kids, and wanted a reduction (Yes I know that the courts very rarely do that) then that would be different?

I'm sorry, and this is just my opinion, and I'm certainly not a lawyer, but it kinda sounds like a double standard. At the point when you are making a choice to stay at home and not work, to be with new baby, you are failing to support the prior child. Kind of like the NCP not paying CS. It probably wouldn't rub me the wrong way but asking for a modification to increase your ex's CS in anticipation of remarried, knocked up, and quitting your job just seems......well sleezy. Sorry, that's just my opinion.:eek: :eek:

BTW if your ex has had other children since your divorce, while he can't use them as an excuse to lower the CS he pays to you, it is a valid excuse to keep the CS from increasing.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">