• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re-open child support case can I get arrears???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My son will be turning 18 within the next couple of months. He is entering his senior year of high school. In 1999 I closed the case against his father because he promised to pay and needed his license to be reinstated so he could get a job. He never did. I even asked them to cancel out 26,000 that he owed in order to give him a "fresh start". He has never been around for our son and when he has been he's been very abusive and just plain foul to him. When I say he has been I mean for one week every couple of YEARS.
I am planning to reopen the case by the end of this week. When it is opened will they add in money that he never paid for almost 18 years because there was a court order? Can they also put back the 26,000 from before because he didn't follow through with the agreement? Thanks so much for your time and for any and all help or suggestions in this matter**************

Antigone*

My son will be turning 18 within the next couple of months. He is entering his senior year of high school. In 1999 I closed the case against his father because he promised to pay and needed his license to be reinstated so he could get a job. He never did. I even asked them to cancel out 26,000 that he owed in order to give him a "fresh start". He has never been around for our son and when he has been he's been very abusive and just plain foul to him. When I say he has been I mean for one week every couple of YEARS.
I am planning to reopen the case by the end of this week. When it is opened will they add in money that he never paid for almost 18 years because there was a court order? Can they also put back the 26,000 from before because he didn't follow through with the agreement? Thanks so much for your time and for any and all help or suggestions in this matter**************

You forgave that obligation. Unless I am sorely mistaken you don't get to have a "do over" just because you made a bad choice.

Proserpina

So did you file contempt for non-payment?

(and having it reopened at all is not a given)

Dogmatique~No I haven't done anything....because I am not sure how any of that works....thanks for your time.

Thanks to any and all REAL answers and suggestions and not smart comments....they truly aren't needed. People come here for help not for others to bash them and remind them of something they shouldn't have done when they believed the other person and all they ended up doing was being a LIAR.

Wow, Wirelessany1-thanks for taking the time to find that for me....I knew I had asked that question somewhere before and wasn't sure where...since it's been what almost A YEAR AGO???? Thanks I will go back and see what I was advised to do then**************..
Funny if you would spend that energy on being nice to people instead of trying to make them look dumb...you might be a nice person.
THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP IN FINDING THAT FOR ME!:p

Antigone*

wirelessany1-hey are u sure you're not that person "I am always liable" you sound just like that person**************.:confused::rolleyes:
Ha ha ha ha...you're too funny, but NO...I am not he-who-must-not-be-named. Lord Voldemort and I have nothing in common.

The arrears are gone. Focus on today, work toward the future (those words would never come out of Voldemort's mouth):)

LdiJ

While I tend to agree with everyone else, your best bet honestly is to get a consult with a local attorney with all relevant paperwork in hand.

It would be worth it to pay for an hour of the attorney's time to see where you really stand.

Antigone*

While I tend to agree with everyone else, your best bet honestly is to get a consult with a local attorney with all relevant paperwork in hand.

It would be worth it to pay for an hour of the attorney's time to see where you really stand.
She is in California and "you know who" is in California as well, wouldn't it just be dang hilarious if she spoke to him. I know California is a huge state and the chances of that happening are slim and none ~ hey...maybe I'll play the lotto today:)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

This was answered six years ago by IAAL. You didn't listen then and you won't get anything now. Quite frankly you should have filed way back when it was first told to you -- you wouldn't have missed out on more money. Without a court order he owes you NOTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">