Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awesomemom is offline Member

Unhappy Re-open child support case can I get arrears???

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My son will be turning 18 within the next couple of months. He is entering his senior year of high school. In 1999 I closed the case against his father because he promised to pay and needed his license to be reinstated so he could get a job. He never did. I even asked them to cancel out 26,000 that he owed in order to give him a "fresh start". He has never been around for our son and when he has been he's been very abusive and just plain foul to him. When I say he has been I mean for one week every couple of YEARS.
    I am planning to reopen the case by the end of this week. When it is opened will they add in money that he never paid for almost 18 years because there was a court order? Can they also put back the 26,000 from before because he didn't follow through with the agreement? Thanks so much for your time and for any and all help or suggestions in this matter**************
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomemom View Post

My son will be turning 18 within the next couple of months. He is entering his senior year of high school. In 1999 I closed the case against his father because he promised to pay and needed his license to be reinstated so he could get a job. He never did. I even asked them to cancel out 26,000 that he owed in order to give him a "fresh start". He has never been around for our son and when he has been he's been very abusive and just plain foul to him. When I say he has been I mean for one week every couple of YEARS.
    I am planning to reopen the case by the end of this week. When it is opened will they add in money that he never paid for almost 18 years because there was a court order? Can they also put back the 26,000 from before because he didn't follow through with the agreement? Thanks so much for your time and for any and all help or suggestions in this matter**************

You forgave that obligation. Unless I am sorely mistaken you don't get to have a "do over" just because you made a bad choice.
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member

So did you file contempt for non-payment?

(and having it reopened at all is not a given)
    It seems like we've been through this exact question with this OP before.

[url]http://forum.freeadvice.com/child-support-98/past-due-support-428260.html[/url]
    Dogmatique~No I haven't done anything....because I am not sure how any of that works....thanks for your time.

Thanks to any and all REAL answers and suggestions and not smart comments....they truly aren't needed. People come here for help not for others to bash them and remind them of something they shouldn't have done when they believed the other person and all they ended up doing was being a LIAR.
    You also asked this same question in 2003

[url]http://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/helllp-me-150307.html[/url]

Apparently you are a great fan of the "do over"

eta...hey old-timers...this is a thread you need to read. He who shall not be named is all over it.
    Wow, Wirelessany1-thanks for taking the time to find that for me....I knew I had asked that question somewhere before and wasn't sure where...since it's been what almost A YEAR AGO???? Thanks I will go back and see what I was advised to do then**************..
    Funny if you would spend that energy on being nice to people instead of trying to make them look dumb...you might be a nice person.
    THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP IN FINDING THAT FOR ME!
    THANKS AGAIN FOR THE 2003 INFO AS WELL!!!!! MAYBE THERE IS BETTER ADVICE THERE TOO!
    wirelessany1-hey are u sure you're not that person "I am always liable" you sound just like that person**************.
    THANKS AGAIN FOR THE 2003 INFO AS WELL!!!!! MAYBE THERE IS BETTER ADVICE THERE TOO!
    Actually, that one was pretty good reading.
    Have a great evening!!!!!
    wirelessany1-hey are u sure you're not that person "I am always liable" you sound just like that person**************.
    Ha ha ha ha...you're too funny, but NO...I am not he-who-must-not-be-named. Lord Voldemort and I have nothing in common.

The arrears are gone. Focus on today, work toward the future (those words would never come out of Voldemort's mouth)
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    While I tend to agree with everyone else, your best bet honestly is to get a consult with a local attorney with all relevant paperwork in hand.

It would be worth it to pay for an hour of the attorney's time to see where you really stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    While I tend to agree with everyone else, your best bet honestly is to get a consult with a local attorney with all relevant paperwork in hand.

It would be worth it to pay for an hour of the attorney's time to see where you really stand.
    She is in California and "you know who" is in California as well, wouldn't it just be dang hilarious if she spoke to him. I know California is a huge state and the chances of that happening are slim and none ~ hey...maybe I'll play the lotto today
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member

This was answered six years ago by IAAL. You didn't listen then and you won't get anything now. Quite frankly you should have filed way back when it was first told to you -- you wouldn't have missed out on more money. Without a court order he owes you NOTHING.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.