• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Really basic question about the verbiage used in Turner v. Rogers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

proeliumfessus

Question concerns SC ruling in Turner v. Rogers.

What is meant by "making express findings?" I searched the web and so far I'm still not sure exactly what it means.

The term was used in the following context: "[...] a five-Justice majority required courts to help pro se litigants navigate the process themselves. In child support proceedings, the majority noted, courts may provide this assistance by [...] (4) making express findings regarding defendants' ability to pay."

Just Blue

Question concerns SC ruling in Turner v. Rogers.

What is meant by "making express findings?" I searched the web and so far I'm still not sure exactly what it means.

The term was used in the following context: "[...] a five-Justice majority required courts to help pro se litigants navigate the process themselves. In child support proceedings, the majority noted, courts may provide this assistance by [...] (4) making express findings regarding defendants' ability to pay."
I'm sorry. We don't do homework.:)

Silverplum

I'm sorry. We don't do homework.:)
I agree with you, but just felt like tossing a bone (inspired by NewDog!): http://thelawdictionary.org/express/

Made known distinctly and explicitly, and not left to inference or implication. Declared in terms; set forth in words. Manifested by direct and appropriate language, as distinguished from that which is inferred from conduct. The word is usually contrasted with "implied."

Poster, sometimes you need to split the words and just find the meaning of each one. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">