• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receipts requested from child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

btandme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My ex-husband recently asked for all receipts that show what his child support payments are being used for. Is this legal? Do I have to provide this information? I was told child support goes towards food, clothing and shelter and whatever I deem necessary for the children to help in supporting them. I understand anything over and above child support that I would ask for help with would need a receipt but for the actual support?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My ex-husband recently asked for all receipts that show what his child support payments are being used for. Is this legal? Do I have to provide this information? I was told child support goes towards food, clothing and shelter and whatever I deem necessary for the children to help in supporting them. I understand anything over and above child support that I would ask for help with would need a receipt but for the actual support?
It's absolutely legal for him to ask.
It's also absolutely legal for you to tell him to pound sand. Tell him what you were told about support...it's correct.

LdiJ

You are not obligated to provide him that information at all, unless a court orders you to do so. A court will NOT order you to do so, unless there is hard, cold evidence that your children's basic needs are not being met by you.

If your children are adequately housed, clothed and fed, then what he wants is not going to be court ordered.

CSO286

Tell him you spent it all on sailboat fuel.
I didn't do that....

I spent it all on fuel for my hot air balloon....

:eek::eek::D

Oh, and OP: Remind him that the purpose of child support is to reimburse the custodial parent for money already spent providing for the child's needs (you know--all those pesky unecessary little perks like food, shelter, school lunches and heat...)

Last edited:

antrc170

Tell him you sent it to a Nigerian prince who needed it so he could set up an account that he'll deposit millions into.

SESmama

I told my ex (when he said I don't spend anything on little dude) that he was right. I didn't spend that particular check on ldude but on the Brazilian Wax my new man asked for...

He hung up and refuses to speak to me anymore

Mission accomplished.

I told my ex (when he said I don't spend anything on little dude) that he was right. I didn't spend that particular check on ldude but on the Brazilian Wax my new man asked for...

Mission accomplished.
:eek: I spit diet pepsi out my nose. Literally. :eek:

You gotta WARN people ahead of time before you rip off a zinger like that!! :D

ecmst12

If those were the only things that ex was saying to her, then I can't really blame her for being glad he stopped talking to her...

And I totally LOLed :)

SESmama

Nope, not the only things but the tamest. The point was to get him to quit calling period since all he did was berate me (yes, even on voicemail) and I just got sick of it. We now converse only via email which does give us both time to think about our response before flying off the handle.

I apologize to any laptop or monitor that was inadvertently sprayed.:D

btandme

Mission accomplished.
Hahaha....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">